Post subject: Can you have more than 1 3D model in a pattern
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 03:48 

Hi All,

I'm new to Diptrace and struggling with some of the basics of creating new parts.

I'm trying to create a part for a fuse holder that uses 2 fuse clips, 1 clip at each end of the fuse. The pattern is easy, just add the holes for the clips the correct distance apart. I have a 3D model of the clip from Keystone and I can add it to the pattern and it looks OK. Where I am stuck is how to add the second clip as the part needs 2 of them.

Is this even possible? I realize that the clips are individual parts but it would be a pain to manually have to layout 2 clips the correct distance every time I want to place a fuse. I'm guessing that I would have to create a single model with the 2 clips in a different program and import it into Diptrace.

If there is a way to do this in Diptrace I would appreciate someone cluing me in.

Thanks,

Dave

Post subject: Re: Can you have more than 1 3D model in a pattern
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 06:02 
Expert

There is no way to do this in DipTrace. You will have to make your own 2-clip 3D model or find it somewhere else. I have five Littelfuse 3D models of differing dimensions and pin configurations (including fuses) that I created for my custom libraries: 2AG-111, 5x20-100, 5x20-111, 5x25-100 and 5x30-100. If you think one of these would work in place of your Keystone part, I can post all five of my Littelfuse STEP files here in a zip folder. They are not artistic or colorful, but they should get the job done. Which Keystone fuse clip (part number) are you using?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 17:22 

Thanks Tom,

I kind of expected that but wanted to be sure. It seems that being able to create assemblies would be a useful addition to DipTrace but I'm not sure how much work it would be to implement.

Thanks for your kind offer of the Littelfuse model. I've switched to a Schurter part and have a good 3D model of 1 clip. It will be pretty easy to mirror it and create the socket.

Another question in a similar vein. How do you create a socketed part? Is there some way for example to place a DIP socket on the board and then plug an IC into it? The only way that I can see to do it would be to create 3D models outside of DipTrace for every possible socket that I want to use. Quite the pain.

In this case it would be nice but hardly essential to show a fuse in the socket.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 09:03 
Expert

DaveD wrote:
"...How do you create a socketed part? Is there some way for example to place a DIP socket on the board and then plug an IC into it? The only way that I can see to do it would be to create 3D models outside of DipTrace for every possible socket that I want to use. Quite the pain..."
I think you would have to create a separate 3D model showing a part plugged into a socket, attach it to a new pattern and attach the new pattern to a new component for every component required. A definite pain. And then you would need to somehow figure out how to handle the BOM.