Post subject: odd place for a via
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 14:29 

Often when I run the autorouter it will put a via right next to a through-hole pad to connect the trace on the opposite side of the board for no apparent reason.
I presume this happens because of some setting in the autorouter somewhere. Can someone suggest what I need to change to stop it doing this?
It doesn't really hurt anything, I just don't understand why it does it. It bugs me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: odd place for a via
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 16:02 

You could up the via cost in the autorouter setup. That might have some negative effects.

It's easy enough to unroute the trace on the bottom wire, delete the via, and manually route the rest of the trace on top.

I have noticed that effect. It appears that there is a significant bias to making connections to connectors on the bottom of the board. Maybe there is a concern that the top trace would tend to be a heat sink to prevent the hole from filling with solder, or maybe the thinking is that the bottom trace would make a better anchor. Maybe they want to make the connection to the connector more accessible. I am just speculating. It would be interesting to know the actual reason.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 04:46 
Technical Support

This is not frequent effect, but it happens sometimes. You will not spend a lot of time if you correct it manually.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 09:01 

Yes, I have been correcting them manually. I just wondered if I had a setting wrong somewhere that was causing it to do this.
And it is pretty frequent.