Post subject: Inverted F Antenna
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 10:45 

Hi guys,

I have made a footprint of a PCB Inverted F antenna using 2 pads (using multiple points shape pads). In the component library, I made a component with 2 pins. But physically, in the pattern itself, these 2 pads are connected. So, when I used them in the PCB design, it would be seen as both of them are having the same net although in the schematic 1 pin is connected to ground and another to an antenna feed.

Is there any trick to go around this as the antenna itself is an "object" with 2 different joint points.
I'm using the Texas Instrument's application note on the Inverted F antenna design.
Any suggestion would be great. :)
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Inverted F Antenna
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 13:41 

I think you will need to leave a gap in your pattern that you then connect up with a trace after running other traces in PCB Layout. See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 22:56 

tinker1,
I think I will make the gap like you have said and complete the whole PCB routing and copper pours 1st. Then run a DRC to ensure everything else is fine. Then only I will connect the 2 pads using maybe a pad or track (track is harder) to short them. Don't know whether the Gerber will be okay, will check on this.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 23:22 

I would maybe make a component with surface-mount track-sized pads. Making those pads maybe 0.005 apart would ensure a DRC pad-to-pad spacing error at that spot. I would add a top assembly marking to make that spot easy to locate and expand in PCB Layout for when you want to make the connection.

I haven't done it, but it is how I would do something similar.