Post subject: Busses in Schematic not showing in PCB
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 12:59 

Wow, I get to post the inaugural question in this forum. Here goes:

I need separate analog and digital ground and power in my circuit. So, I have created busses and attached separate analog and digital power and ground nets to the busses (Vcca, Vccd, Vssa and Vssd) . Throughout my circuit, various pins connect to one of those four nets. The problem is, when I “Convert to PCB,” none of the nets appear connected to the busses. That is not the behavior that I was expecting, but perhaps I am misunderstanding busses.

I have attached a simple schematic to illustrate the problem. I tried to upload the actual schematic, but the forum is not allowing the DCH file extension.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Busses in Schematic not showing in PCB
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 14:22 
Technical Support

Bus is used in Schematic only to group nets into single line and to connect nets on different pages (see "Connecting" in the tutorial). PCB does not use busses at all. The way to go is creating 2 separate nets first for analog and digital in both Schematic and PCB, then routing PCB, and then connecting nets in both Schematic and PCB (maybe only in Schematic and then updating from PCB). Or creating single net at once and route it taking into account analog/digital.

We will add DipTrace file extensions to allowed formats.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 14:35 

So, if I want to keep analog and digital power as separate nets, then I should not connect them to the actual power in the schematic. I should connect them only when routing the PCB. Is that right?

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 14:41 
Technical Support

You can connect them in Schematic when you already routed nets in PCB. I will talk with our engineer tomorrow - he is more competent with such questions. His nickname on the forum is "Alex".

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 02:27 
Technical Support

MickeyDelp wrote:
So, if I want to keep analog and digital power as separate nets, then I should not connect them to the actual power in the schematic. I should connect them only when routing the PCB. Is that right?

If you want to keep analog and digital grounds as separate nets, you can connect them via 0 Ohm resistor or ferrite bead. In that case, schematic will have two different grounds and layout will have too.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 12:18 

I figured out a clean way to do it. Rather than use an actual component like a zero Ohm resistor or ferrite bead, I created a connection component with a pattern that consists of two surface mount pads right next to each other. That lets you connect the nets without merging them so you can easily route the analog and digital power nets separately.

P.S. Tried to attache an .ELI file, but the forum said it was invalid.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 04:37 

I have run across the same problem as well. This would be a nice feature for DipTrace to add since it is in most of my projects.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2010, 09:02 

I am evaluating DipTrace now on a small board and I need separate analog and digital grounds. So yes please add this feature to DT.