Post subject: Pin Swap? Gate Swap?
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 23:38 

When routing a board, how do I swap pins on a component? For example. I have a 74HC08 that would route better if the net that goes to pin 1 went to pin 2 and the net that goes to pin 2 went to pin 1.

It would also be useful to know how to swap gates, so that the nets that go to pins 1, 2 and 3 on the 74HC08 went to pins 4, 5 and 6.

Post subject: Re: Pin Swap? Gate Swap?
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2011, 09:20 
Technical Support

Pin and gate swap are not possible in Diptrace now. But these features have already added to our feature list.
All you can do now is going to schematic, swapping pins there and renewing layout from schematic.

Post subject: Re: Pin Swap? Gate Swap?
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2011, 20:28 

I just ran a test and the workaround works fine. Here is what I had to do to make it work:

I started with a routed design and decided to switch the traces going to two ends of a "RES" resistor.

On the schematic, I deleted the wires going to the two ends, then I used pin properties to swap the two pin numbers (swapping the pin names has no effect) I then reconnected the wires.

Going to PCB layout, I renewed the design from the schematic (by refdes or by components - either works). I then deleted the traces from both ends of the resistor.

Using autoroute or manual route, the traces now went to the opposite ends compared to where they went before. The square pad was still on the same end of the resistor - only the nets got swapped.

TLDR: disconnect the component on schematic and PWB, change the pin numbers on the schematic, then reconnect the component on the schematic renew, and reroute the component on the PCB. Really quite easy and quick to do.