How to change related schematic?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
DanMc

How to change related schematic?

#1 Post by DanMc » 03 Sep 2010, 06:42

Hi,
When I make a revision to a board, I always rename the files accordingly.

It appears that File>Renew Design From Schematic>By Components allows me to do this.

I just can't figure out what "By Components" refers to, and the help file does not show anything about "By Components" or "By RefDes".

Thanks,
Dan

tinker1

Re: How to change related schematic?

#2 Post by tinker1 » 03 Sep 2010, 07:21

As I understand it, if the board was originally generated from the schematic before the changes, you can use the "By Components". I am sure there is a better way of saying it, but that is the way I understand it.

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 05 Sep 2010, 21:21

When you update layout by components or by RefDes and specify new schematic file, related schematic must be changed automatically.
"By components" refers to hidden IDs. If layout was created from certain schematic file, hidden IDs are the same in both files even if you changed reference designators.

DanMc

#4 Post by DanMc » 14 Sep 2010, 04:26

Alex wrote:When you update layout by components or by RefDes and specify new schematic file, related schematic must be changed automatically.
"By components" refers to hidden IDs. If layout was created from certain schematic file, hidden IDs are the same in both files even if you changed reference designators.
Alex,
Here's how I understand it so far: Diptrace matches components between schematic and layout using an internal hidden component ID.

Update by RefDes means that the components in the layout will be matched to components in the schematic using the RefDes field as the key. In this update case the hidden component IDs will be updated so matching RefDes components have the same hidden ID.

Update by Component means that the components in the layout will be matched to components in the schematic using the internal hidden ID. So if any component descriptor fields (RefDes, Value, Type, or additional fields) in the schematic change, then the matching layout components will be updated accordingly. This would be very useful if reorganizing the RefDes of all components. The change only needs to be done in the schematic, and the layout will be updated as needed.

Renew Design by Related Schematic is the same as update by component, except the referenced schematic is whatever was specified earlier.

Is this all correct?
Thanks,
Dan

Alex
Technical Support

#5 Post by Alex » 15 Sep 2010, 02:08

Hi Dan,

Yes, you are completely right.

paynterf@gmail.com

#6 Post by paynterf@gmail.com » 07 Oct 2017, 02:22

So, how does one find out what the 'related schematic' is?

I typically change the schematic filename each time I make an edit, so I have a running history of changes. For instance, I might have

170625_BatterySchematic
170727_BatterySchematic
171004_BatterySchematic

etc.

So, if I made my first pass at a PCB using 170725_BatterySchematic, and 3 months later I want to update it using 171004_BatterySchematic, how do I proceed? 3 Months later, I might not even remember which of the many schematics I used to create the PCB, so at the very least I need to be able to find the filename of the 'related schematic' so I can overwrite that filename with the most current one. Ideally though, I'd like to be able to redirect the 'related schematic' entry to point to the most current one in my list.

TIA

Frank

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 07 Oct 2017, 03:14

Changing the related schematic
1) In the Main Menu of the PCB Layout editor select File and choose Layout Information... in the drop-down menu.
2) Click on the [ ... ] button in the Related Schematic section of the Design Information dialog window.
3) Navigate to and select/highlight the desired schematic file in the Open dialog window and click on the [Open] button.
4) In the Design Information dialog window make sure the correct file path is showing in the Related Schematic section and select [Close].
5) Resave the PCB.

p.s. Running the Renew Layout from Schematic tool will also allow you to change the related schematic. Don't forget to resave the PCB.
Tom

KevinA

#8 Post by KevinA » 07 Oct 2017, 13:41

Along the lines of keeping backups of previous designs by renaming the file creating many files. I lost a RAID 5 drive and started looking into something less costly (Drives and Power supplies) just to discover Windows 10 File History: In previous version of windows you either purchased some file backup software or used the file back up that came with windows. Since they started 'giving' away cloud space and including a process to move tagged file to the cloud in the background the file backup was changed. Windows 10 came up with a File History method that kills the file backup crap because unlike File Backup you can restore the files that have 'histories'. Right click a file and select Property / Previous Versions and IF you have setup file histories you should see every version of that file with date and time. The Title Block editor is a nice tool to use to change the Revision of the project.... File name, not so much. And you can tell File History what drive to place your history files on and switch that drive while retaining all the history files on the old drive. With 4TB external USB 3.0 drives it will be awhile between switches.
There is a PCB design tool out 'there' that archives each change you make, at the end of the day you think you have 10mb but you really have 100mb used up and the longer the project goes on the larger each 'archived' file becomes.

paynterf@gmail.com

#9 Post by paynterf@gmail.com » 07 Oct 2017, 14:49

Tom,

Thanks for the very informative post. I found (and updated) the 'Related Schematic' information just as you described - thanks!

However, I could not find anything like the 'Design Information' dialog window you mentioned. How do I find that?

TIA,

Frank

KevinA

#10 Post by KevinA » 07 Oct 2017, 15:23

Open a project then click File/Layout Information opens the Design Information window.