Post subject: Best way to update changes from library?
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 16:57 

If I make a minor adjustment to a Pattern and I'd like the change to be reflected in my Layout, is there an easy way to do this? Currently, my process is:
  • Make the change in the Pattern editor. Save changes.
  • Switch to the component editor. Select group, library, and Component that is associated with the Pattern. Click "Pattern..." in "Component Properties...". Select my Pattern (it is already selected, but reselecting it causes the updated pattern to appear). Click OK. Save changes.
  • Switch to the Schematic editor. For each place where the component is used, right click and choose "Update from Library". Save changes.
  • Switch to Layout. File -> Renew Layout from Schematic -> Related Schematic.

But man is that painful! Is there an easier way?

Post subject: Re: Best way to update changes from library?
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 19:17 
Expert

Until DipTrace is equipped with automatic forward propagation, that's really the only sure-fire way to do it correctly. If you have a lot of components to update in the schematic it might speed things up just a little by selecting all of the components (Ctrl + A). Then you can right-click on any one of the components, choose Update from Library in the pop-up menu, click on Selected Components in the fly-out menu, wait for the update process to complete and resave. If none of the components were renamed, all of them will be automatically updated at one fell swoop using the appropriate libraries. In the PCB Layout editor, use the hotkey combination of Ctrl + Alt + U to renew from related schematic.

Post subject: Re: Best way to update changes from library?
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 19:23 

Okay - thanks. At least I'm not missing something. This is the ONLY complaint that I have of DipTrace over Eagle. (Not that I don't have other complaints, but DipTrace has been breath of fresh air since Eagle. :-)

I do actually often use the Ctrl-A to Update from Library, but even then it only works per single schematic sheet. So you have to go sheet by sheet.