Post subject: Solder mask
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 15:40 

I have successfully designed a surface mount board with components on both sides, it is tiny and has due to volume restraints no provisions for connectors, I am using pads <S:Rec1.2x1.2> from the "Pads and Mt holes" library to allow soldering of tiny wires.
When I created the gerber x2 files I imported the whole lot of them back into DipTrace to see what I am actually going to send to the manufacturer.
I can see border lines on all component pads in the "bottommask" and "topmask" gerber files but the <S:Rec1.2x1.2> does not have borders.
Am I using an inappropriate symbol for the purpose or what is the error, if any? Grateful for any advice!
Kind Regards

Post subject: Re: Solder mask
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 08:31 
Expert

If you are talking about the Solder Mask Swell setting (the gap between the soldermask opening and the pad), DipTrace has set up the "S:Rec1.2x1.2" pad with a Custom Solder Mask Swell value of "0" (no gap) as shown in the illustration below. This will cause the Solder Mask Swell setting in the Export Gerber dialog window to be ignored. To change the settings of the pad(s) in the PCB Layout editor right-click on the pad(s), choose Mask/Paste Setting... in the pop-up menu, disable the [ ]Custom Solder Mask Swell option in the Pad dialog window, select OK and resave the PCB file. Note that this will change the settings on the PCB pad(s), but not the library pad; so every time you place a new instance of this pad, you will need to change its settings on the PCB.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Solder mask
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 12:13 

Tom,

Thank you for your kind advice! I would not have found that feature in a long time, if ever!
There is always more depth to any software application than can be read about in the manual. ("Undocumented Windows" is an interesting book on the same subject.) :D
You have saved my day. Have a good one,

Kind Regards
Hans