Post subject: Image Saving shows pads star than true round/oval
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 23:51 

Hi,

I am facing a strange problem with not able to solve. To make a pcb, I usually try to save both sides of the PCB as image (jpeg/bmp). This way it allows me to print both sides of different images in a single print and on the same paper. However, I realized, when looked at carefully that saved images (zoomed) that all the pads are turned into stars shape than the perfect round/oval. This is different than what either you see in the print preview or 3D view. Hence quality of these pads going to printer is for inferior.

However, this is not a problem when you print images directly to PDF printer and its convert into PDF file, but issue remains of one image per page. I tried to change the display mode to all three (openGL, Windows GDI, Directx etc.) then repeated the same steps but the outcome is same. I also tried to save images in different resolutions but the outcome is same. Please refer the attached image files for more details (zoom it to see the pads of all the components).

Please help?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Image Saving shows pads star than true round/oval
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 15:50 
Expert

For what it's worth, the following explanation is my understanding of how some of this stuff works, which could be totally wrong of course. Feel free to chime in to correct any errors you may find...

You should be able to print directly to a laser printer from the Preview tool without difficulty. As I see it, the problem occurs when trying to store the image as a *.bmp or *.jpg (i.e. raster format) file. I find that a setting of at least 3,000 dpi is needed to retain sufficient definition of the PCB image in a *.jpg or *.bmp file. Also, every successive copy of a copy will result in progressive degradation of the original image/file. Since these are raster format images, they will not scale nicely and printing out a 3,000 dpi file will result in an image far larger than the original. If the *.jpg is to be used only for illustration purposes, then the image can be manually resized within a program such as MS-Word while retaining sufficient definition. However, this will not be of much help when trying to attain a perfect 1:1 scale print for a homebrew etching session.

I suggest storing your file as a *.pdf. The *.pdf file format is capable of recognizing and reproducing vector graphics and that is why you are seeing good definition with correct scaling when going down that path.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it... ...for now.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 23:21 

Thank you Tom for your response. As advised, pdf is an alternative solution to print but it requires two times printing and sometime it get's messy.

In my wish list (I have a forum and found many experts also wish so) Diptrace to incorporate a feature to view and print both sides of the PCB.

Thanks once again. - Pradip

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 16:42 

I use http://www.graphicode.com/ Gerber software to check the files going to the PCB house (use to before OSHPark) It allows printing what you want free...