Post subject: Important export settings not saved with layout
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 00:11 

I ran into an issue where the same layout was giving me different output gerbers depending on which computer I used to build it. I almost wasted a lot of money on boards with bad solder mask layers.

I found that the differences were due to export settings (like solder mask swell) not being saved with the project. They seem to be part of the DipTrace application settings, so different installations can turn the same layout files into different results. Even worse is that if I need different export settings between different projects, I have to remember to manually change the application settings every time I switch projects! That is prone to error.

Other tools that I have used include the export settings as part of the layout or overall project (e.g. OutJob files in Altium) to avoid these problems. Have I overlooked a way to save the export settings into layout files in DipTrace?

Post subject: Re: Important export settings not saved with layout
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 02:22 
Technical Support

You can right click on a pad and open "Mask/Paste Settings". Define custom solder mask swell and paste mask shrink for the pad. Apply changes to similar pads. Do the same for other pads. Custom mask/paste settings are saved in board file. Applying custom mask/paste settings you can be sure they won't depend on global settings that might be different on other machine.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 11:37 

Any chance this can be added as a feature in a future version?

It's quite painful and error prone to maintain custom mask/paste settings on every pad, when they are all the same (except for perhaps a couple). And if you decide to make an adjustment, you have to carefully, by-hand, change every pad setting in the design - for a large design this can take hours, and is very error prone without a good way to verify correctness.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 12:57 

I have ran into a similar issue, the default paste settings defined a smaller aperture opposed to the external copper layer in my Gerber files. This caused an issue with my board house. Why is this and why isn't there a global setting and a warning in the design checks? I would call this a mistake and a bug not having a global settings, needs to be addressed as I had to have the board house make the design changes (at a cost) because it would take me to long to change each pad. Also why can't the masks be seen in PCB layout when only that layer is selected? you should be able to overlay pads and masks and then make the settings changes in one place while seeing the changes on the view screen.