Post subject: vias do not connect to copper pour after Update
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017, 08:09 

Hello,
I have a very simple board that has several vias to connect the top and bottom copper pours together. I first placed the copper pours on both layers, then added the vias. This worked just fine until I made a change to a few traces and Updated the copper pours and then all the vias detached from the copper pours as shown in the attached picture.
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

In the copper pour properties I have the vias connected to copper pour checkboxed so I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

Any help appreciated

JIm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: vias do not connect to copper pour after Update
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017, 10:09 
Expert

Try the following to see if it helps...
1) Hover your mouse over one of the Vias in question to see which Net it is connected to.
2) Now hover your mouse over the outline of one of the copper pours to see which Net it is connected to.
3) If they are different, change them to match. If they are the same, would you be willing to post your PCB file here so I can try and figure out what is going on?

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 10:11 

Thanks for the feedback Tom,
I followed your steps above and The vias were indeed NOT connected to the ground plane, BUT in the "Add Copper Pour" properties it has a checkbox in the CONNECTIVITY tab that says "Direct connect for Vias" I would assume this means that when I place a via on a copper pour it would connect to it....which it did the first time, but it disconnects after a copper pour update.

Lastly. Using your method of Right Click>select net to connect to method I MUST do each one individually. I cannot select multiple vias and assign them all at once as at least one or two are not connected in this method.

So in the mindset of just getting this done I will manually fix the vias...not that many, but on a big board design this would prove to be quite a pain

Thanks for the help
JIm

Edit:
EGADS!! I have to do this to the BOTTOM pour as well! GRRR This is a true pain in the butt

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 10:41 
Expert

Hi Jim,
The "[X] Direct Connection for Vias" option does not mean that a connection will be made. It means that there will be no thermal relief (no thermal spokes) wherever a Via might connect to that copper pour. (You will only see a plated-through-hole in the copper pour.) Maybe it would have been less misleading if they had labeled it "[X] No Thermals for Vias".

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 08:38 

Tomg wrote:
Hi Jim,
The "[X] Direct Connection for Vias" option does not mean that a connection will be made. It means that there will be no thermal relief (no thermal spokes) wherever a Via might connect to that copper pour. (You will only see a plated-through-hole in the copper pour.) Maybe it would have been less misleading if they had labeled it "[X] No Thermals for Vias".

AGREED!!

What really is a pain is that I cannot perform a group connect to net. Even though its there in the drop-down it does not work, at least on my setup. It always picks one random via to connect to the net I specify, and the others are still netless.

It is what it is I suppose.

THanks for getting back to me.

JIm

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 09:30 
Expert

jgmdesigns wrote:
"...What really is a pain is that I cannot perform a group connect to net. Even though its there in the drop-down it does not work, at least on my setup. It always picks one random via to connect to the net I specify, and the others are still netless..."
It should work as long as the Static Vias are not already connected (in v3.1, anyway). After selecting all of the desired Static Vias, right-click on one of them (the others need to remain selected/highlighted too), choose Add to Net in the drop-down menu, click on Selected Vias... in the fly-out menu, select a Net in the Net dialog window and choose OK. Don't forget to update your copper pours. If you choose something other than Selected Vias... in the fly-out menu then the Static Via that you just right-clicked on will be the only one affected.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.