Post subject: DXF Pattern import problems - arcs
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 16:00 

Hello,
I'm trying to create very small PCB inductors in DipTrace and I'm having trouble importing smooth DXFs. For some reason it seems like the DXF importer in Layout is different from that in Pattern editor, which is bad. The Pattern editor can't properly import my DXF (fill doesn't work), but the Layout program can. The issue is fixed if I import into Layout, export back to DXF, re-import into Pattern Editor. The problem is that I require smooth arcs to end up in the Pattern, but apparently the exporter within Layout exports only as polylines, even though it imports the arcs just fine.

Because import appears broken directly in Pattern Editor, I seemingly have no way to import proper arcs. Is there a known workaround for this?
I cannot use polylines because of another (DipTrace) issue; the grid doesn't get small enough to properly render my polylines. I've already emailed support regarding the grid question, but it seems to me that if I properly imported arcs I wouldn't have to worry about the grid.
Suggestions?

Rafael

Post subject: Re: DXF Pattern import problems - arcs
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017, 05:19 
Expert

Could you put your DXF file inside a zip folder and post it here? I would like to see what you are using. I had a different experience with a drawing produced in Geomagic Design. I created two concentric arcs of 0.01mm and 0.015mm radii, added a straight line to each end to turn them into a single enclosed drawing figure (empty inside) and saved it as a DXF file. The DXF file was then imported into the Pattern Editor (DipTrace v3.1, Win10/64) to the Signal layer with the [X]Fill Closed Areas option enabled. It appeared in the Design Area with smooth arcs. Trying the same procedure in the PCB Layout editor resulted in a drawing that did not accurately represent the original. For this drawing figure anyway, there appears to be something amiss in the PCB Layout editor's DXF importer compared to the one in the Pattern Editor.

If you want to use the drawing figure imported into your PCB Layout editor, try the following procedure...
1) Import the DXF file and add an extra element nearby (e.g. some text).
2) Drag a selection box around both the drawing and the text, right-click on one of the selected items and choose Group into Component in the pop-up menu.
3) Right-click on the newly-formed component, select Properties in the pop-up menu, click on the [Main] tab in the Component Properties dialog window, enter a basic reference designator letter (e.g. "L") in the RefDes: box, enter the desired pattern name in the Pattern: box and click on the [OK] button.
4) Select the User Patterns library group in the Place Component panel on the left side of the screen and choose a pattern library into which you would like to store the new pattern. If the Pattern Editor is also open to the same library, temporarily choose a different one for it; otherwise the next step will be blocked.
5) Back in the PCB Layout editor, right-click on the new component, select Save to Library in the pop-up menu, choose Add to "[target library name]" in the fly-out menu and click on the [Yes] button in the Confirm dialog window. You should now be able to find the new pattern at the bottom of the target library's patterns list.
6) Open the Pattern Editor, bring up the new pattern in the Design Area, delete the text, make any other needed changes and resave the new pattern. Now when you use the new pattern in the PCB layout the arcs should be smooth.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.