Post subject: Merging two PCB layouts for panelizing
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 01:36 

Hi
I have two separate 4-layer PCB layouts that have the same PCB size and I would like to merge them into one.
I tried copying but that failed since DipTrace made a mess of the layers.
I tried exporting P-CAD ASCII and importing them, but DipTrace erased the first layout when I tried adding the second.
Any idea how I can do that if at all?

Best regards
Noam

Post subject: Re: Merging two PCB layouts for panelizing
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 08:09 
Expert

I haven't tried this but this kind of sounds like it might help you:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11558

Post subject: Re: Merging two PCB layouts for panelizing
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 11:40 

It can be done with copy-paste as you have tried already. As near as I have been able to tell, you need to have all the layers selected when you copy. You also need to unlock any components which are locked if you need to move around the pasted layout.

What I do is create a new layout from one of the layouts that I want to panelize. I then unlock everything and move it to a second position (away from the 0,0 location). I then open a second layout window with the other PCB, turn on all layers, unlock everything, copy it and then paste into the panel layout. It will have to be moved to the correct position as diptrace doesn't paste to the same coordinates as the original object... it will be close those.

Make sure that 'Keep RefDes while pasting' is selected in the Edit pulldown when pasting, if you want to keep the original designators from the pasted layout.

Board outlines will not be pasted as your panel layout already has a board outline. Its handy to have some silkscreen or something on an assy layer where the board outline was on the pasted layout to help align it with the new panel board. You will have to draw a new outline around both PCBs.

I have all sorts of strangeness that occurs with any silkscreen that was placed with 'Place Picture' and generally have to redo them with the panel.

Aside from that, it works nicely. It would be nicer for a more automated process though.