Post subject: EXISTING Trace movement
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 07:35 

First, Don't know were my other (2) post went to, can't find them to know if someone answered.....MY BAD.

Hello All,

Seems like starting with Ver. 3.xx, I can no longer move the (END) of an existing trace off the X-axis. It just moves left or right. I've tried turning it off but I can't figure it out in the length drop down menu if that is controlling it.

Help Please

-- 21 Apr 2017, 16:02 --

Hello Alex,

Need help with this.....If you understand/know my problem. Been using DipTrace for years now, but, no way am I an expert or can quickly learn all the "Advanced" stuff.

Thanks again

Post subject: Re: EXISTING Trace movement
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 08:35 
Technical Support

Maybe I don't understand the problem. I can move the end of a trace that I have just dropped in any direction. Just select trace end, hold left mouse button, drag the trace end where I want and release left mouse button.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 20:29 

Hello Alex,

Just tried it again and it does not work for me.

NOT a "NEW" trace.

Already existing traces...When I right Click on a part and select 'Disconnect Trace', then move that Component out of the way (delete). Those Traces ONLY move Top to Bottom on the (Y-axis), NOT left or right on the (X-axis).

I can not just grab the end of the (Existing) trace and (FREELY) move the trace around the PCB to my new connector pin. I'm having to move the connector to the Trace, or start a new Trace from the original location.

Hope this is a better understanding of what I'm seeing.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 06:45 
Technical Support

Please make sure X grid size is as small as Y grid size or turn off the grid at all. Then try to move trace end in all directions.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 13:11 

Hello Alex,

1) under "View" I clicked on Grid Size and "Y" has Identical as "X" CHECKED.
2) I next turned off Grid (no dots on screen).
3) did a disconnect of one connector, moved it to the side and the Trace only goes left or right....Not Top to Bottom (Y axis)

Thanks

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 13:44 

When you disconnect the component and move it out of the way you should see a small square at the connection end of each trace. If you select the small square (hold down the left mouse button when the cursor is over the square) then you should be able to move that endpoint in any direction.

If you select a vertical segment of the trace it will only move left and right. Consequently, selecting a horizontal segment of a trace will only allow up and down movement. Is this what you're seeing?

At least that's the way it works on 3.0.0.2.

Last edited by farley on 25 Apr 2017, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 14:30 
Expert

Unlike previous versions of DipTrace (including v3.0.0.2), Beta 3.1 prevents you from editing the trace length in Edit Traces mode. In Beta 3.1 you have to be in the Free Trace Editing mode to change the trace length. Is this an oversight or was this change needed to make bus routing possible? See the two attached demonstration videos contained in the folder named "Edit Trace.zip" (below) showing the differences between the last stable release (v3.0.0.2) and the Beta 3.1 release...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 23:43 

Hello Tomg,

Just tried it again using the (Free Trace Editing) and that works. "DON'T" like it but that worked. I'm a long time user (no pro), but that (Free Trace Editing) I do not like nor do I use. Experts may use it.

Anyway, I think that something is still wrong.

I have a Trace going into a connector the way your "Video" shows it and that Trace will move (left or right) and (up and down), but another connector has a Trace coming straight up on the (Y axis) and it will NOT lengthen nor can I shorten it.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 05:51 
Expert

This is acting more and more like a bug in Beta 3.1. I ran the following experiment and observed another interesting anomaly (see the attached video inside the folder named "move.zip" below)...
1) Click on the end of the trace to automatically activate Trace Edit mode and attempt to change the trace length.
2) Observe that the attempt to change the trace length is blocked.
3) Without exiting the Trace Edit mode, drag a selection box around the connector and trace and move them with the arrow keys.
4) Make a second attempt to change the trace length.
5) Observe that even though the Route Toolbar indicates that DipTrace is still in the Trace Edit mode, the program behaves like it is in the Free Trace Editing mode.
6) Without exiting the Trace Edit mode, make a third attempt to change the trace length.
7) Observe that the third attempt to change the trace length is blocked.

By the way, did you check to see if that stubborn trace is locked?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 00:01 

Hello Tomg,

The Traces are NOT locked.

Also, I tried what you showed and once moved that Trace becomes Blocked again.

weird, needs to be fixed.

-- 15 May 2017, 23:16 --

Hello Alex,

Was your staff able to duplicate the same thing I was seeing and is it a bug?

Thanks

Howard