Remove pattern's silk over the via

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
tyro

Remove pattern's silk over the via

#1 Post by tyro » 11 Apr 2017, 17:57

Hi,
Can I remove a pattern's silk over the via manually after routing work?
Or I might just don't know the function?
Attachments
pict.jpg
pict.jpg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 276 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: Remove pattern's silk over the via

#2 Post by Tomg » 11 Apr 2017, 21:48

If the obscured silkscreen object is the reference designator, you can move it using the Move Tool (F10). If it is not the reference designator, the proper way to do this is to copy the original component into a custom library, modify its pattern's silkscreen as needed, resave the custom library and replace the original in the schematic with the new custom component. Then use the PCB Layout editor's Renew Layout from Schematic tool to update the PCB.

If you are not going to use a schematic, the following non-recommended method will get the job done...
1) Take note of the component's reference designator, right-click on the component (not its pads) and select Ungroup Component in the pop-up menu.
2) Delete the unwanted part of its silkscreen.
3) Drag a selection box around all of the remaining parts of the component. If other non-component objects are also selected, deselect them using the standard Windows methods (e.g. hold down the Ctrl key while left-clicking on the non-component objects).
4) Once only the component parts have been selected, right-click on one of them and choose Group into Component in the pop-up menu.
5) If the reference designator is different, change it to match the original.
Note: This method is not recommended and should only be used as a last resort on PCBs that don't have schematics. Also be warned that the library link to this modified component will be broken.
Tom

tyro

#3 Post by tyro » 12 Apr 2017, 03:57

Thanks Tomg,
I was most afraid of your answer... We can move RefDes anywhere if needed, no problem. If I have to copy from original pattern design and fix the frame silk, That is not feasible solution when it is a high density and complicated design. Ok, I'll reconsider this layout.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 12 Apr 2017, 05:56

Another option would be to have the board house clip the silkscreen to prevent the overlap. Send them an email to ask them about it. It is possible that they automatically do it anyway.
Tom

tyro

#5 Post by tyro » 17 Apr 2017, 00:50

Thanks Tomg,
Hmm, Basically we should take responsibility about board layout.
Anyway I'll ask to board manufacturer directly.