Post subject: Re: Ratlines won't go away
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 15:26 

This is in the state prior to me resolving two of the ratlines... I forgot to save it before making a bunch of other tweaks that I needed to discard. I noticed another ratline near U3 pin 4 - it seems like I went through all those capacitor connections once to make sure they were connected.

Anyhow, here it is:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 16:08 
Expert

There are two disconnects; one on layer-1 and the other on layer-4.
1) On layer-1 there is a disconnected trace segment hidden underneath the main trace which is the one making the actual connection to C15. Move the main trace out of the way (highlight it and nudge it with the arrow keys), delete the hidden segment, nudge the main trace back and reconnect C15 to the main trace. This will cure the U5(22) ratline.
2) On layer-4 a trace is not actually connected to the main bus (notice the faint, gray square where the connection should be). Fix that and the U5(28) ratline should disappear.

Let me know how it all comes out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 16:14 

I found and fixed that disconnect on layer 1. I seem to get those a lot using this "intuitive" interface for routing traces. "WTF" has become a staple of my vocabulary.
Thanks for your input. Any tips on how to make this process less infuriating are welcome.

FWIW, I'm reworking that portion of the layout... again; I'm not real happy with it.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 16:28 
Expert

If that portion of the layout was a copy of another part of the PCB, then it's possible that the extra segment on layer 1 came from the original. If you have a lot of identical sub-circuits to place, then the hierarchy tool might make things easier once you have mastered it. It is capable of automatically arranging components and internally routing them within each hierarchical block according to how you set up the first one.

One thing I wish DipTrace had was a route "healing tool" of sorts that would properly combine hidden traces with overlapping traces of the same net.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 16:35 

Tomg wrote:
If you have a lot of identical sub-circuits to place, then the hierarchy tool might make things easier once you have mastered it. It is capable of automatically arranging components and internally routing them within each hierarchical block according to how you set up the first one.

Worth pursuing -- if I decide to stick with DipTrace. It is one of the better tools I've tried, but I need to figure out this routing process and the god-awful library/component system.

Tomg wrote:
One thing I wish DipTrace had was a route "healing tool" of sorts that would properly combine hidden traces with overlapping traces of the same net.

Seems like a no-brainer.