Post subject: Place multiple instance of same part in an array?
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 21:43 

If I have say 12 LEDs,and I want to place 15 identical ones in a 3 x 5 array, where the centroids are 4mm in X and 5mm in Y, is there a way to do this (not seeing it). PCAD and KiCAD have this feature.

Post subject: Re: Place multiple instance of same part in an array?
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 09:53 
Expert

syntht wrote:
If I have say 12 LEDs,and I want to place 15 identical ones in a 3 x 5 array, where the centroids are 4mm in X and 5mm in Y, is there a way to do this (not seeing it). PCAD and KiCAD have this feature.
If I understand, you want one group of 12 LEDs placed in 15 identical 3x5 arrays. DipTrace does not have an alignment tool equivalent to what you say PCAD and KICAD have. In DipTrace, one method might be to use the Hierarchy tool for this where the group of 12 LEDs is placed in Hierarchy-1. Then place a 3x5 array of fifteen instances of Hierarchy-1 inside Hierarchy-2. One feature of the Hierarchy tool allows you to arrange and internally-route one Hierarchy on the PCB and use that as a template to automatically arrange and internally-route the remaining Hierarchies in identical fashion. You can change the grid spacing to your liking, even setting different values for X and Y, and then use Snap to Grid > By Origin for all of the LEDs to make sure the spacing comes out the way you want.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 11:44 

No, I just want 1 array.

I want to place a part, like you can place an array of pads (like in a BGA).

a) Place 1 part on board (say it's the "lower left" part)
b) then have a way to type in "3" rows, "5 "columns, X spacing 4mm, Y spacing 5mm, OK
c) POOF!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 12:10 
Expert

In a past thread Alex mentioned that they were working on some kind of an "align feature" for the next release (see http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4089). I hope it pans out and includes the features you need.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2017, 10:23 
Technical Support

Have you tried "Edit->Copy Matrix" ? If you design board without related schematic this function may be useful to multiply components with traces.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 11:09 

With forethought, this can work with an associated schematic as well. I just did 3 components in a 10 x 10 array. In schematic, place three components (U1, R1, D1). Make your inter-component connects, then array the components. In layout, manually place the footprints for (U1, R1, D1), and make the same inter-component trace connections. Select all three components and traces, then array it.

Then, renew layout from schematic by ref-des.......

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 01:55 

Thanks, the Edit...Copy Matrix was exactly what I needed!