Post subject: Moving part of a layout
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 01:50 

Hi, I am currently evaluating DipTrace as a possible replacement for Eagle.

While many things are quite nice compared to some other programs, like most programs, DT has its rough edges.

Right now, I cannot figure out how to move part of a PCB layout without messing up the traces. I.e. selecting a rectangular area that is mostly routed (manually) including all components, traces, vias etc. in that area, and moving it intact by some distance e.g 7mm in one direction or the other.

I am working from a DT schematic and trying to initially recreate a design previously made in Eagle. In Eagle I would simply select the block, click move, then right click the group and select move again. But when I try similarly selecting and dragging in DipTrace, it only drags the components, and does very stupid things with the traces :?

Post subject: Re: Moving part of a layout
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 07:44 
Technical Support

If you select an area and move it in any direction, components, vias and traces within the area are moved as you want they to move. But traces that go outside of selected area are rearranged. These traces are stuck to pads on both ends, if one pad is moved and second pad is not then the trace is rearranged. Therefore you need to fix some traces after moving the selection.

Post subject: Re: Moving part of a layout
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2017, 16:04 

Unfortunately, on closer inspection, it seems to be those "outside" traces that cause weird random behavior, as the "stuckness" somehow extends to segments and trace vias that are entirely inside the dragged selection.

My current workaround is to temporarily convert affected vias to "static", unroute the segments that cross the block boundary, select and drag the block, reroute the severed segments and finally convert the vias back to trace vias. Which is quite a circuitous way to do such a simple thing.

During the workaround I also found that unrouting some segments between trace vias cause those vias to disappear and the segments on the other side of the via to be instantly repositioned to some truly craze location (such as a massive V-shaped trace that runs to an unrelated part of the board then back again to the part of the board containing the net. This is why I had to convert the affected vias to static, so the "unroute segment" command won't touch them. I kind of wonder why an "unroute segment" command would ever change anything but the selected segment.