Post subject: Help with SMT Transistors location and size
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2016, 21:27 

Hello All,

I'm updating an old PCB and some parts are not matching up. I am a 7 yr (novice) with DipTrace so some things are still hunt and peck. I'm trying to find SMT transistor in the PCB layout. Like I said, I am updating an older layout and when I ordered the SOT-363V1 according to the profile, the part I got was smaller. I had to bend the legs out to make it reach the pad. With a few trace cuts and jumper wires, the New (OLD) version is working. I did get out an older working controller and the part is physically bigger. The Body size is an (SC-74R).

1) Is there an listing of SMT transistor's to choice fromb in DipTrace?
2) found other 363 SMT components in DipTrace (hunt & peck) and did a printout and the part (363) is still to small to fit the pattern
3) Ordered a different part (563 series) and it is even smaller.
Who is right and who is wrong?????? ( I measured the parts based on the spec. sheet and they seem to be correct)

It is the (Dual Transistor w/pre-bias) from the Parallax BS2 MC series. (Mouser: 621-DDC114EU-F). Also the single transistors pattern is to large also.

4) can not find the larger part at Digi-Key or Mouser, only the smaller one, so now I need a smaller profile. I have the 3.0.1 Lite version. Is there a way to search the patterns for transistor patterns or size?

5)Also, some of the parts have (NO Pattern) attached. Should this be or did I install something wrong?

Thanks for any help

Howard

Post subject: Re: Help with SMT Transistors location and size
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2016, 07:10 
Expert

Pattern Editor
1) Select "Patterns" in the Current Library Group box.
2) Click on the "Pattern Tools" box and select "Find Pattern..." in the fly-out menu.
3) In the Search Patterns dialog window, select "Patterns" Group in the Search Area drop-down list.
4) Click on the [+] button, choose "Pattern" in the new drop-down list and enter "SOT363".
5) Click on the [Find Patterns] button.
This should produce the following list...
SOT363
SOT363
SOT363V
SOT363V1

To add to the confusion, the example below shows four interpretations of what I think might be the "standard" SOT363 footprint. I'm guessing there are more. It is always a good idea to get a hold of the actual part to see how it aligns with the footprint before sending the Gerbers to the PCB manufacturer. FYI, here is a link to the footprints used by Diodes Incorporated - http://www.diodes.com/package-outlines.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2016, 09:24 
Technical Support

Even though all SOT363 patterns are different in details they are similar in general. DipTrace SOT363 pattern has longer pads and therefore fits for both automated and hand soldering. Patterns from manufacturer datasheets have shorter pads and fits better for automated reflow soldering.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2016, 15:20 
Expert

Shown below is a comparison of the three different versions of the SOT363 pattern found in DipTrace. I have attempted to keep the scale the same for all three drawings in order to accurately display the differences. Even if the device manufacturers are specific about which SOT363 variant is applicable, it would be prudent to double check with your own eyes before sending out your Gerbers. Documentation errors have been known to occur every now and then.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2016, 20:51 

Hello Tomg,

Thanks for the feedback, just saw your reply and will try it now.

Thanks again

Howard

-- 19 Apr 2016, 20:19 --

Hello Tomg/ DipTrace,

I did the search and only one (1) came up. I did it on another part that I could see in the window and all three (3) came up. Is it possible that I'm missing some parts/patterns?

Thanks

I'm looking at SOT363 in the pattern Tools window and only one is there (SOT363)

Hey Hey Hey.....I'm looking through the listing and I'm sure I don't have any of these listing within my PCB layout Window /Screen, what give. Some of my show no pattern attached. Remember, I'm no expert with CAD, learning on the fly.

Thanks again

Howard

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2016, 08:56 
Expert

Figure 1: In this example a search for the SOT363 pattern is performed in the Pattern Editor. When the specified search area is the "Patterns" Group (the entire collection of DipTrace-supplied pattern libraries), the result is a list of 4 DipTrace-supplied patterns having a name that contains the string "SOT363". When the specified search area is the "General" Library of the DipTrace-supplied pattern libraries group, the result is a list of only 1 DipTrace-supplied pattern having a name that contains the string "SOT363".

Figure 2: A search of the "Patterns" library group for the DipTrace-supplied SOT363 pattern is performed in the PCB Editor. This results in a list of 4 DipTrace-supplied patterns that have a name that contains the string "SOT363".

Figure 3: A search of the "Components" library group for DipTrace-supplied components that use the SOT363 pattern is performed in the PCB Editor. This results in a list of 452 components that use a pattern with a name that contains the string "SOT363".

Figure 4: A search of the "Components" library group for DipTrace-supplied components that use the SOT363V pattern is performed in the PCB Editor. This results in a list of 10 components that use a pattern with a name that contains the string "SOT363V".

Figure 5: A search of the "Components" library group for DipTrace-supplied components that use the SOT363V1 pattern is performed in the PCB Editor. This results in a list of 0 components that use a pattern with a name that contains the string "SOT363V1".