Post subject: Creating PCB from hierarchical multi-sheet schematics.
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 02:19 

Hi guys.

This is probably obvious to everyone but me; I have a schematic of an amplifier with three sheets/sections to it; pre-amp and tone stack, power amp and power supply sections, with all nets and inputs etc. laid out in a proper hierarchical structure. When I go to "Convert to PCB" on the file menu, I expected it to pick all three schematics and ready them for PCB creation but no, only the top sheet (pre-amp section) of the project is included in the resulting PCB. That's fine, I can make this project on three boards if I have to, but how then do I to get the software to convert the remaining 2 sheets of the schematic to a PCB? If I click on, say, sheet 3, (the power supply), then choose the "Convert to PCB" command from the File menu, it selects just the 1st, pre-amp sheet again rather than the one I want. How do I get the PCB software to pick up the other two sheets, either together or individually, to start the PCB creation process?

I know I can copy and paste the entire page/section I want into a new schematic by itself and do it that way, but surely that defeats the purpose and I'm missing the obvious way of doing it from a multi-page schematic?

Cheers

Dave.

Post subject: Re: Creating PCB from hierarchical multi-sheet schematics.
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 08:03 

I just did I relatively large multi-sheet schematic, and had no trouble at all. I even had multiple levels of hierarchy, and it still went pretty easily. If you post the schematic, I'd be happy to look at it. As a first step, when you get into the PCB layout, do a Zoom Extents to make sure you're seeing everything.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 09:55 
Expert

I don't know what your schematics look like but this may help:

-The first page of your schematic must be a Hierarchy page.
-Your other pages, that is your actual three schematics, then can be the next three pages.
-The first page, the Hierarchy page, would then contain the Hierarchy blocks that are your three schematics.

Open the schematic editor and go to the Help page and search for Hierarchy for an explanation.

FTA:
<<<
To make hierarchy you should add a new sheet to the schematic (choose "Edit \ Add Sheet" from main menu), then select a new sheet in the bottom-left tab and change its type to hierarchical block ("Edit \ Sheet Type \ Hierarchical Block" from main menu). It is possible to change sheet type for second and further sheets. First sheet is always on the top level of hierarchy it is a main circuit.
>>>

jeff

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 19:39 

Thanks for the suggestions guys, you are both very helpful.

Strangely, I went back and selected the sheet type to "normal" on each of the 2 bottom sheets (instead of Hierarchy Block) and now when converting to PCB it picks up everything and includes it. I admit I'm still very confused about the whole hierarchical thing and how it is implemented - and I'm getting thicker as I get older - so there is obviously something I've missed that made it not do it in the first place. That said, I can't fathom why re-designating those pages as 'normal' would suddenly make the software include them either.

Fortunately most of my boards are stupidly simple so I never get to stretch DipTrace's capability like you guys do.

It's going now and that's all that matters. Thanks again.

Dave.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 21:21 

The hierarchical element is a building block. It doesn't appear anywhere unless you actually use it somewhere.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 22:12 

I have the same problem. I created a hierarchical schematic with a main page, and then several sub-pages. All the sub-pages have the 'heirarchy' sheet type selected.

Now I want to create a PCB of just one of the sub-pages (the battery pack), NOT the whole thing; how do I go about this? If I simply select 'Convert to PCB', I get a bunch of garbage which makes no sense.

So, I thought that I would copy the sub-page to a new schematic and do it as a stand-alone. Unfortunately, when I do a Ctrl-A to copy the schematic, then open a new schematic file and do a Ctrl-V, I get an error message because this sub-page references another page as a sub-sub block - argh!!

I have attached the schematic if anyone wants to take a look

TIA,

Frank

-- 04 Jul 2017, 06:59 --

OK, I was able to get the battery pack sub-page copied over to a new schematic file, but it was a major PITA! First I had to create two sub-pages in the new, blank schematic, with the 'hierarchy' flag set. Then I had to copy the 'battery pack' and 'PB1000' sub and sub-sub pages over to the sub-pages in the new schematic. Then I had to change the 'battery pack' sheet type to 'normal', and then I had to delete the 'main' page. Ugly, but it worked ;-).

After this I could convert the battery pack schematic to a PCB, albeit with its own set of problems ;-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 08:31 
Expert

Yep, it's a little involved. Here's an alternate method...
1) Launch the Schematic Editor and open the original schematic.
2) Left-click on the tab of the Main schematic sheet, select all objects (Ctrl + A) and delete them by pressing the [Delete] key.
3) Delete all of the unwanted hierarchical sheets: right-click on each sheet tab, select Delete in the pop-up menu and click on Yes in the Confirm dialog window.
4) Right-click on the tab of the one remaining hierarchical sheet, select Sheet Type in the pop-up menu and choose Normal in the fly-out menu.
5) Right-click on the tab of the original Main sheet (the empty one) and select Delete in the pop-up menu.
6) Rename the newly converted sheet if needed (right-click on its tab, select Rename, etc.), make sure to remove all hierarchy connectors and clean things up.
7) In the Main Menu click on File and select Save As in the drop-down menu.
8) In the Save As dialog window enter a new file name, navigate to the desired folder and click on the [Save] button.
Now you can generate a new PCB using the new schematic.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 09:25 

Yep - that's pretty much exactly what I wound up doing, but your version is a bit cleaner ;-)