Post subject: SILKSCREEN on both top and bottom --same one
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 14:18 

gang...

Of course you have a silkscreen on the top of the pcb. That's cool. You can place one of the bottom as well.

but how do you put the same silkscreen you have on the top and the bottom too?

for example...

on the top you have the usual R1, R3, R10, Q2, Q5, C2, C8 and so one

I'd like to see on the bottom silkscreen the same R1, R3, R10, Q2, Q5, C2, C8

That way I'd have to screens, both the same, one of top, the other on the bottom

thanks..

mike

Post subject: Re: SILKSCREEN on both top and bottom --same one
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 16:49 
Expert

I am not aware of any Diptrace feature that allows a component to have a reference designator on both sides of the PCB. Naturally, there is always the possibility of its existence so if anyone knows of one please chime in. There is a potentially dangerous work-around to make copies of the reference designators for the opposite side of the PCB. If you are interested , here is how to do it...

1) Save your original PCB file and also save a copy of it with the name "temporary".
2) Close your PCB file, open the new file named "temporary.dip" and select all (Ctrl + A).
3) Right-click one of the selected/highlighted components (not its pads) and select Change Side in the pop-up menu.
4) In the Main Menu select View, choose Assembly Layers in the drop-down menu and enable Component Markings in the fly-out menu.
5) Now click on File, choose Export in the drop-down menu and select Gerber... in the fly-out menu.
6) In the Export Gerber dialog window select/highlight the layer named "Bottom Assy", make sure the [X] Use Design Origin option is enabled and click on the [Export] button. Save the Gerber file to a convenient location such as the desktop and close the Gerber Export window.
7) Close the temporary PCB file without saving any changes and open the original PCB file.
8) In the Main Menu click on File, choose Import in the drop-down menu and select Gerber... in the fly-out menu.
9) In the Open dialog window navigate to the desktop, select/highlight the file named "BottomAssy.gbr" and click on the [Open] button.
10) In the Source Gerber File dialog window, set Import Mode: Add, Convert to: Bottom Silk, make sure all other options are disabled and select Import.
11) The opposite side of the PCB should now have silkscreen "labels" on it. Please keep in mind that these new silkscreen labels are not reference designators, they are merely unrelated polyline figures with no ties to the components on the other side of the PCB. If you need to move one, select/highlight all of its polylines and nudge with the arrow keys.
12) Resave your PCB file.
13) Delete the file named "temporary.dip".

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 10:12 
Technical Support

It is not possible to display reference designator twice (on both sizes of board). Reference designators are always displayed on component size. But you can manually add text with RefDes and put it on opposite side.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 18:58 

humm...

well shucks...

mike

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 21:59 

Hello All,
My 2 cents. The way Alex says is the way I've been doing it for a while now (my boards are 4 x 3).
ex.:Logo/Pwer location -/+ / any Ref. designators/company name/email/web/date stamp/PN....etc. (ALL TEXT mode)

Pain in the butt some times to align, but at the same time, it looks great in 3D mode for what thats is worth. "YA"

Again:My 2 cents

Howard

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017, 17:14 

One of the old cad programs I used allowed you to add a bottom silkscreen by simply mirroring the top screen. That way, on the bottom of the pcb, you had the same silkscreen as the top. Really came in handy for trouble shooting.

I could add the R3, R15, C1, C45 and so on, but it's too time consuming for the number of parts on this pcb.

Mike