Post subject: Problem with Buses and Bus Connectors
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 11:59 

I need to share signals across different sheets in an existing schematic. When I create identically named "bus connectors" on different sheets (in this particular schematic) and then hook up bus lines, the busses all have different names. This means I can't share signals across different sheets using the bus feature.

However, when I do this on an empty schematic, all the busses hooked up to similarly named "bus connectors" have the same name, regardless of which sheet they're on. Nets attached to the bus in one sheet are available on other sheets, which is what I want.

Is there a configuration somewhere that I might have changed by accident, or is this a bug?

I'm running the Oct. 19, 2012 Windows build of 2.3.

Post subject: Re: Problem with Buses and Bus Connectors
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 09:46 
Technical Support

Please look at page connectors. They should have green dot (it means that page connector has been connected to bus) and name should be encapsulated in rectangle ( it means the page connector has been connected to another page connector anywhere on the schematic). if both conditions are true, two busses will be joined to single bus.

If it doesn't help, please send the schematic to support at diptrace dot com.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 17:05 

In the problem schematic, both page connectors have the same name and green dots, but neither has a box around it. I was able to delete all the other components and still demonstrate the problem. When I use page connectors in other schematics, they function as you describe.

I'll email you the file.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 10:07 
Technical Support

Thank you for the file.
The second sheet is a definition of hierarchical block. Please open "Edit/ Sheet Type" from main menu and you will see it. Probably, you changed sheet type accidentally, change it back to normal in that case. After that, page connectors will connect busses on different sheets to single bus.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 16:24 

Yup, I was playing with the hierarchy stuff and forgot about it. But does that mean a hierarchical element can't connect with a bus defined in another sheet? Seems like that would be very useful.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 10:15 
Technical Support

Bus cannot come out different levels of hierarchy. We are considering using hierarchical pins to connect busses on main schematic and hierarchical blocks.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2016, 08:22 

Yeah another vote here for bus connectors in hierarchy blocks. There are loads of parts which have repeated elements and/or busses in them - level translators, resistor networks, parallel interface dacs, arrays of logic gates etc. And there are lots of designs which want to use multiple copies of blocks using these elements. And, routing hundreds of individual parallel traces representing multiple buses on a schematic is super painful.

So how about it?

Alan