Post subject: Manually editing/fixing ref designators of multi-gate parts?
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 14:39 

Hi Folks, I've found Diptrace to be really intuitive, but I've run into something that's giving me a hard time. On a schematic with several multi-gate ICs, I'm finding myself needing to "fix" the ref designations occasionally. For example, when U1 is the power pins, and U1.1-U1.4 are the gates, I might want to swap some gates between U1 and U2 to make the schematic flow more logically or make for a better layout. Sometimes I'll run the auto-ref designator renumbering tool or manually re-name a part and end up with U1.1-U1.6 on an IC with only four gates, things like that. Is there a manual way to fix these without disconnecting the gates from the connections and moving them around? In my last design I resorted to bringing in new parts and replacing the old ones, but I am hoping there is a better way.

Thanks for any ideas!

Steve

Post subject: Re: Manually editing/fixing ref designators of multi-gate pa
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 07:08 
Expert

Try this...
1) Right-click on each of the two parts to be swapped and select Disconnect Wires in the pop-up menu.
2) Move each part to the other's original position.
3) Right-click on each of the same two parts again and select Connect Wires in the pop-up menu.

Run the Windows movie file named "swap.wmv" found inside the attached zip folder below to see a demonstration...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Tomg on 08 Nov 2016, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Manually editing/fixing ref designators of multi-gate pa
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 14:40 

Thanks Tom, that worked well for what I needed. I hadn't thought to disconnect the wires and just move the gates. I appreciate the video too. The problem with the "extra" gates in an IC solved itself while I was doing that, somehow.

Steve