Post subject: Cement Resistors?
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 03:24 

Hi,

I'd like to apologize in advance if this sounds really "n00by". I'm a first-time learner of DipTrace and still studying the workings of the software.

Now, we're building an Emergency Light Circuit. The schematic that we have on paper shows that it has a 5W, 47 Ohm cement capacitor (something that looks like this: http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/spe ... ations.pdf). I have checked the stock libraries (this is a fresh install of DipTrace btw) and I'm confused on which of these are your usual resistors, and which are cement resistors.

So, is a cement capacitor present in the libraries?

Note: I have the circuit working on a breadboard. I'm now in the process of converting it to a PCB from scratch.

Post subject: Re: Cement Resistors?
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 09:07 
Expert

GameAddict wrote:
"...is a cement capacitor present in the libraries?..."
What you need is a Xicon power resistor library which DipTrace does not have. If you are familiar with the process, you can generate your own custom Xicon pattern and component libraries and link them to the User Patterns and User Components library groups. If you are not familiar with the process, then I suggest that you go through the tutorial and spend at least 30~45 minutes on it every other day to get yourself acquainted with how things are accomplished in DipTrace. It is not a difficult task and it will speed up the learning process considerably. You will find out how to set up libraries and create your own custom components and patterns. There is even an example of how to create a basic resistor pattern and component. To access the tutorial, open any one of the editing modules, go to the Main Menu and click on Help, then select DipTrace Tutorial in the drop-down menu. This will open the tutorial file and you can resave it and/or print it out for your convenience.

I have included a very basic Xicon power resistor pattern library named "Xicon.lib" that you can use if you like. Just save it to your custom Patterns folder (create one if you haven't already --> C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\DipTrace\My Libraries\Patterns) and link it to your User Patterns group (use the Library Setup tool). Then create your own basic resistor component library, place it into your custom Components folder (create one if you haven't already --> C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\DipTrace\My Libraries\Components), link it to your User Components group (use the Library Setup tool) and tie the component to the pattern in the Pattern Editor. Because I have never used these custom patterns, I cannot guarantee a proper fit or fire resistance. Use at your own risk...

p.s. See this thread for some very basic information about the DipTrace library system - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10937

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.