Post subject: Problem renaming net port
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 06:09 

I have placed a "VCC" net port in a schematic from the components... Net Ports library. I double-click on it and change it's name from "VCC" to "Vin". When I click ok I get a warning that "Net-port connection failed ! The following pin can not be found in some net-ports with such name Vin: "VCC"".

What am I doing wrong ? Is renaming net ports not possible ?

Post subject: Re: Problem renaming net port
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 08:45 

Renaming net in net properties not always working.
See below discussion & correct if you are missing something.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9075

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 14:40 
Expert

You are trying to rename the NetPort's pin instead of the entire NetPort. Mouse over the NetPort until it is completely highlighted (in my setup it turns blue). If you highlight only the NetPort's pin (pin turns red - left side of illustration), you can only change the pin name or the net name but not the NetPort name. So mouse over the NetPort until it is completely highlighted (see right side of illustration), double-click and do your thing (or right-click, select the name at the top of the pop-up menu, type in the new connector name and select OK)...

-- 07 Jul 2016, 14:32 --

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 19:39 

That process is exactly what I have been doing. It is when I try to rename the NetPort that the error occurs.

Attachment:
error1.png
Attachment:
error2.png
Attachment:
error3.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 19:46 
Expert

Hmmm. It worked for me. Which DipTrace version are you using? Which platform/OS? (I'm currently using v3.0.0.2 on Win10-64.)

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 20:07 

3.0.0.2, Win 10 x64.

Yes, it has worked for me before. I have just tried doing the same thing on some other schematics I had created before (including earlier versions of the one shown above), and no problems. Perhaps a bug, or corruption in my schematic file.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 20:22 
Expert

If it's any help, I get the same error message when trying to change the pin name using the right-click method. If I double-click on the pin and try to change the pin name in the alternate (double-click) menu, it just ignores the change and does not display an error message. Changing the NetPort name using the double-click method appears to work okay. I'll study this further tomorrow to see if I can spot an obvious failure commonality. The illustration below uses the right-click menus...

-- 08 Jul 2016, 10:33 --

I still can't get it to fail on my system. Does updating the NetPort in question (right-click on it and select Update from Library) fix the renaming problem?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 02:23 
Technical Support

Netport connections work if netports have the same name and netport pins have the same name. Both conditions must be complied. The "Net-port connection failed ...." appears if second condition is not complied.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 07:06 

Unfortunately I don't get consistent results. With a new, clean schematic, I was able to insert and rename a +5V NetPort (using any of the methods mentioned above) without having to rename the pin, without any error. On other existing schematic, I have also been able to rename a NetPort without having to rename the pin. On the particular schematic which gives me problems, renaming the pin and then renaming the netport still results in the error message. I'm calling it a bug and/or corrupted file.