Post subject: Component selection
PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 18:45 

New to DipTrace. Absolutely hate the Component selection. Having to navigate the library or use the clunky filter takes too much time. Is there a way to filter act more like other EDA programs in that the filter "live" updates a list of possible components rather than enter filter, apply filter waaaaiiiiittttt. next part: enter filter, apply filter waaaaiiiiittttt.

Post subject: Re: Component selection
PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 06:42 
Expert

brian_m_a wrote:
"...Is there a way to filter act more like other EDA programs..."
No.
You might be able to speed things up just a little by not selecting "All Libraries" for the Search Area. And if you know in which library your component resides, conduct your search there. Creating your own User Components libraries populated with often-used parts and narrowing the search to that library group will greatly reduce wait times. This way, long searches for seldom-used parts in the standard libraries will be less frequent. If you wish DipTrace employed a better search engine, feel free to suggest it in the Feature requests forum.

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 13:43 

This topic has been discussed here for > 2 years. DipTrace is cursed with its 1960s-style database.

As noted in a thread called 'filtering & searching', I have mentioned a solution that I made for myself. I exported all of the DipTrace libraries into ASCII, and my program reads the ASCII files once to construct a true relational DB of the components and patterns. Thereafter, searches (say, for
  • SMD parts
  • with a pitch of at least 0.05" and
  • having names of the form .*74.*86.* (that is, something that may be null-74-something that may be null-86-something that may be null))
take less than a second. Here is a screen grab:
Attachment:
search.JPG
The program reports that there are 196 components meeting those criteria, and the selected one (arrowhead in left margin of grid) is made by Philips, and its datasheet can be found by clicking on the link shown.

My program is not an optimal tool, since when I use it I need to move out of DipTrace, find the component I want, and then go back in to Diptrace, head for the identified library, and select the component. I will share my tool with anyone who wants to play with it, but obviously, a proper tool should be integrated into DipTrace.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 03:05 

Thanks Fenichel. Great solution. Will try this.
What is if I have 0.04"?

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 13:49 

Using a minimum pitch of 0.04" turns out to get the same 196 hits. Using a minimum pitch of 0 gets 457. Then expanding to include both SMD & TH components gets 608. Why do you ask?