Post subject: Support characters used in our field
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 15:37 

So I just entered a cap value of 22μF. The text box accepts that, but in the schematic it replaces the μ with a rectangle.

Even better is if it recognizes my typing "uF" (or uH or whatever) and automatically replaces the u with a μ.

Why's it matter? It is minor, sure... but why not?

Post subject: Re: Support characters used in our field
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 17:28 

Agreed. At the very last diptrace could recognise u as microFarad in this context; not many keyboards have a mu key.

Dave.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 18:49 

As long as you have an Alt key and a number pad... they can all do Alt+230 (go ahead, try it!). But that is tedious and irrelevant if it can't be displayed! :)

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2015, 15:44 

This would be relay good for documentation. It would be good if it could also show characters as å ä ö and change ohm to Ω.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2015, 18:01 

+100% with ohm. While it just boiled down to a stupid mistake, there was a time that we subbed some work out and instead of a 10Ω resistors, they purchased (expensive!) 0.1H inductors. Why? Because 10Ohm looked like 100 hm, which they (dyslexic?) read as 100 mH.

(note: this wasn't a schematic issue though, so a little off-topic. It was written in a BOM where we could have and should have changed the text)

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 09:26 
Technical Support

To get Ohm, mu or other symbols, you should use True Type font. Vector font doesn't support these symbols.
Then you can find Unicode table on the web, find a character you need, copy it to clipboard and paste to DipTrace field.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 11:51 

And while that ridiculously tedious work around might technically work... adding, "and we'll look at adding this in the future" might come off positively :)

It really is obvious. "u" as a prefix should auto-convert to mu. And resistors should just auto tag an ohm symbol. The #1 most important aspect of a schematic, functionally speaking, is its clarity.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 13:49 

Though there are always exceptions, typically the Ohm (upper case omega) symbol is not shown on schematics. There is typically a note on the schematic drawing that states something similar to "All resistor values are in Ohms." It was generally done that way even when schematics were drawn by hand.

As for capacitor values, it would indeed look nice to have mu added to the vector font but I do think that anyone reading a schematic will understand that lower case 'u' is shorthand for 'micro.'

Or we could all go back to 'mF' for microFarad and 'mmF' for micromicroFarad in lieu of pF :)

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 15:51 

I'm not saying we can't do without it.

And if it somehow cost 2 cents per character (printing press) or wasted ink and hand muscles (pen and paper) I'd say to hell with it.

But computers happen to be pretty darn good at things like this.

And I'll say it again: clarity is king with schematics. Just because something has been done some way before doesn't meant it should be. We also see resistors notated like this: R10 (10 Ohms). I've seen that a lot, actually, and it drives me nuts. Why? That's EXACTLY how we refdes the resistor! I've had schematics where it will say things like "R49" and "R10" on the same symbol. One meaning the designator and one the value... but which is which? If instead it clearly stated 10Ω, there would be no question at all.

My last post on the subject :) It is a suggestion and I hope it gets implemented. Thanks.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2015, 10:32 

Solved.

Use nanofarads and BS 1852 for resistors. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1852