Post subject: Why the scale mis-match?
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 14:44 

I'm not new to DipTrace but I've often wondered (and been frustrated by) this... and if I'm missing something or just doing it wrong.

There seems to be an issue of scale with the in-built libraries. I add an IC or a connector and the pin spacing is pretty consistent. Then I plop down the world's most gigantic resistor possible. I realize it is a schematic, and I'm not talking about the package or physical size of the component... I mean the symbol.

It would seem to me that if I wanted to have a res or cap or whatever in series with every pin on an IC or connector, that I should be able to do that and keep my drawing neat and tidy at the same time. I'm *OFTEN* forced to move whole sections of components logically away from the working area of the IC to make room because the basic resistor/capacitor/inductor/etc symbols are so bloody huge in relation to pin spacing.

Now, granted, I recognize that I'm free to create whatever symbols I want... but I'm lazy and want to use the in-built symbols for basic stuff.

I hate Eagle, but I see schematics all the time that show what I'm talking about. They have cleaner, simpler, SMALLER symbols for things.

Just my thought/rant as I'm once again forced to move a section of components (which in itself isn't so easy because the lines don't move in form so I have to re-do all of them)

p.s. Love DipTrace :)

Post subject: Re: Why the scale mis-match?
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 08:56 
Technical Support

There is no scale function in Schematic. I sometimes change standard pin length for capacitors, resistors, ect. if I want to fit passive components on small area. There is no need to do it in libraries, you can decrease pin length directly in Schematic.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 18:30 

I feel your pain, which is why I create my own parts and libraries. I know you say you don't want to get involved in making stuff but the alternative is to download other people's libraries and use those, and while there are some amazing libraries out there, this often results in parts that aren't quite what we want either.
However, you can always use someone else's design as a foundation for your own parts and making your own is soon the only way to go if you want to stamp your unique style on your work. Some schematics I see on the web are horrible and I don't want to add to them!

I'm very quick at making parts now so my workflow isn't compromised and while it is a bit of a hassle learning how to do it, it it's well worth the time and effort. I make all my pins 2.25mm long by default and scale the parts accordingly, which makes for a nice, neat schematic. I think most long time Diptracers roll their own: if anyone wants my library I'll gladly share it.

Dave.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 16:09 

I make all my own components and patterns. I've never been particularly happy with the included ones, but at least it's very quick and easy to make new ones so no big deal.