Post subject: Accounting for pins that aren't connected?
PostPosted: 29 May 2015, 18:20 

Sorry if this should be obvious.

Also sorry if I put this in the wrong section... it kind of belongs in all of them.

So I have a component with 4 pins, but 2 of which are only for physically holding it down to the PCB. In the component editor, do I include those two pins? I imagine so since I have to match it up with a pattern. But then in the schematic, I'd rather not show them (confusing). Of course I need them in the PCB.

Post subject: Re: Accounting for pins that aren't connected?
PostPosted: 31 May 2015, 21:33 

With my limited understanding of the software there are a few options as to how I would do what you are wanting to do.

First, pins are intended for electrical connections, not structural ones (at least that's how they are designated in the software) but there is no reason you can't include them for illustrative purposes and then simply remember to add no connection crosses to them when you use the part in a schematic (right-click on the pin and click not connected), just so you don't generate verification errors with floating pins.

The pattern can also have pads without electrical connections and without pins being physically connected to them so it's really up to you how you want to do it. For example, some patterns may have areas for heat-sinking but have no electrical connection, so as far as I know it is no problem to make patterns this way.

No doubt someone else with more experience will point out reasons why my theories won't work but this is the way I do it and it seems to work on my simple boards.

Dave.

Post subject: Re: Accounting for pins that aren't connected?
PostPosted: 31 May 2015, 22:27 

I think you got it right. I see now that I can create a pattern with pads that have no associated pins.

All good :)

Thanks for your help.