Post subject: Heirarchical questions.
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2015, 16:12 

Hi guys. I'm a long-time Diptrace user but have recently encountered some problems I don't know how to resolve and the help files seem very thin on the subject. If anyone can throw some light on this I'd be very grateful.

I have a schematic that consists of 3 sheets - the first time I've done a multi-sheet schematic/circuit; I have a preamp section, a power amp section and a power supply section. I want to connect the outputs of the power supply to the relevant power/ground nets in the previous schematics but am having issues doing so. I know I can place a hierarchy connector on each of the power supply outputs on sheet 3, then place a hierarchy block on the two top sheets and connect to the power and ground nets that way but this doesn't work in with having netports on the preamp and power amp sections, which create the usual global nets throughout the circuit/schematic. It would seem to be tidier to be able to use netports or similar components - even if I have to create them myself in the component editor and be able to link the various outputs from the power supply to those netports across the sheets and so have power available on each sheet I can just 'tap into' to use.

Is this possible? Am I missing a feature that already does this? Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Dave.

Post subject: Re: Heirarchical questions.
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2015, 02:26 
Technical Support

Hello Dave,

You don't need a hierarchical connector to join power or ground nets on different sheets. Just connect wires on different sheets to same type netports. Once you connect a wire to a netport, related net becomes global and this means you can get this net on different sheet no matter on hierarchy level.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2015, 03:11 

Alex wrote:
Hello Dave,

You don't need a hierarchical connector to join power or ground nets on different sheets. Just connect wires on different sheets to same type netports. Once you connect a wire to a netport, related net becomes global and this means you can get this net on different sheet no matter on hierarchy level.

Thanks for that Alex. But one question remains: how can I make the outputs of my power supply, drawn on sheet 3, become netports (or equivalent entities) that create or link to global power and ground lines on other sheets? For example, it is common in valve amplifier schematics like the one I am making to have different voltage power supply outputs labelled A, B, C etc. and have points on the main schematic labelled A, B, C etc. to indicate that's where each power output connects to. I am wanting to do this with either net ports or hierarchy connectors to maintain schematic and circuit integrity but am not sure how to go about it.

I'm not good at explaining this but I hope someone knows what I mean.

Thanks again, Dave.

Dave.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2015, 15:48 
Technical Support

Select a netport from "Net Ports" library, for example VCC. Place it on sheet 3. Open netport properties and change its name to A. Connect a wire to the netport. Then copy the netport and place it on sheet 1 or 2. Connect another wire to the copied netport. Now the wires belong to single net.
In the same way you can create B, C, etc. netports on different sheets.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2015, 17:46 

Alex wrote:
Select a netport from "Net Ports" library, for example VCC. Place it on sheet 3. Open netport properties and change its name to A. Connect a wire to the netport. Then copy the netport and place it on sheet 1 or 2. Connect another wire to the copied netport. Now the wires belong to single net.
In the same way you can create B, C, etc. netports on different sheets.

Thanks again Alex, that's exactly what I wanted to do. It's actually intuitive when I think about it and I should have been able to work that out but sometimes one can't see the woods for the trees.

Dave.

Dave.