Post subject: How-to usage question about relays
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2015, 11:55 

Hello:

I have a how-to question about using provided library components for relays in a schematic.

I look into the standard library for Omron G6KU-2F-Y relay. The standard library component has two pins 1 and 8 for the latch coil only. How do I model the relay contacts, i.e. pins 2-4 and 5-7 for the DPDT switch part of the relay, if I use the standard library component? The standard component has a pattern attached for the entire SMD pattern of the relay.

Is there a corresponding library component I could use for DPDT switches of the relay?

If I create a new component for relay DPDT contacts with the same pattern, how will DipTrace treat two components with the same pattern? Is the trick to overlay two components' patterns on PCB?

Post subject: Re: How-to usage question about relays
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2015, 09:22 

When you bring that relay in, it should bring in 3 parts...the coil and 2 switches, just like when you bring in a dual op-amp, for example, it's typically setup to bring in a part for the rails, and 2 seperate opamp parts. It's still all the same component, though.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2015, 11:11 

Thank a lot. I tried it. This is awesome. A follow-up question. How does one create such 'split' components in DipTrace Component editor?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2015, 13:09 

Just add a page as if you were adding another page to the schematic. If you look at the bottom, you'll see a default page with "Part 1" on it...just add Part 2...and Part 3. Once you get that far, the rest is pretty self-explanatory. I actually make ALL of my own components and patterns because I really don't like the stock DipTrace libraries for through hole components. After an hour or two working with it, making components goes VERY fast. I can almost make a component in the time it takes me to search for one in the standard library.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2015, 13:45 

Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing the how-to.