Post subject: Rename dipfix_en to include the Version Number please.
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 01:36 
Expert

Alex,

When we download a maintenance version (upgrade) of DipTrace, the filename is always the same: dipfix_en.exe

How about including the version number and even the windows platform (i.e. 32bit / 64 bit) in the filename so we can tell these files apart? PLEASE...

I'm sure everyone would appreciate this and it seems very easy to do. It would probably help you keep track of them as well.

Thank you.

Jeff

Post subject: Re: Rename dipfix_en to include the Version Number please.
PostPosted: 07 May 2013, 02:26 

I agree - I would appreciate this, too. I'm a huge proponent of putting a verison number into an install package file, to make every one unique, and self-documenting as to which version it contains.

I would also extend this to the 3D models file, to make it obvious when we should download a "new version"

PostPosted: 07 May 2013, 09:13 
Technical Support

The latest build is always available on DipTrace download page. If you downloaded installation file earlier and don't know what version is it you can hover mouse over the file to see hint or open file properties and go to "version" tab.

PostPosted: 07 May 2013, 13:08 

Understood, Alex, and I very much appreciate that you do have the version information in the "Properties/Version" tab - some folks don't even do that, and that drives me crazy.

But another example where clear version information is important: I've just downloaded the 2.3.1 update. It's been 5 months since version 2.3 was released. I wonder whether the models3d.exe file has been updated with any new models in that time. How can I tell whether that also has a "2.3.1" version? It seems the only way to tell is to download the 96MB file before I am able to check its version.

Not a huge deal in the overall scheme of things, but just some thoughts.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 07:52 
Technical Support

We do not change 3D models from version to version. We release several builds between versions but they have bug fixes and software improvements only.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 21:10 

Agree, these need different names. Every time dipfix** gets downloaded, windows has to add a (x) to it.