3.0 Upgrade 3D Models Not Updating

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
btribley

3.0 Upgrade 3D Models Not Updating

#1 Post by btribley » 22 Sep 2016, 16:23

I have just upgraded and am really jazzed about the new interface and that step files can now be used. I modified a pattern to use a step file, set it up, saved it, went to the schematic and updated all components of similar name, saved, opened PCB, update from schematic by component, do 3D render. All the old models remain, no updates. I tried update from library, no joy, everything is still the old models.

I know that I messed with 3D models in 2.0 and by following the above process was able to instantly see 3D model changes in all components using the model. What am I missing in 3.0?

Techno Tronix

Re: 3.0 Upgrade 3D Models Not Updating

#2 Post by Techno Tronix » 23 Sep 2016, 03:35

Are you getting any error message or popup? Please show us screen shot.

btribley

#3 Post by btribley » 23 Sep 2016, 03:42

Thank you for your reply. No error messages, but nothing was updating. I discovered the issue this morning: in the new interface to assign a footprint it is not enough to just open and save like the old one. There are two boxes on the right, one for current and one for new. First you have to remove the footprint from the component and save. Then go back and assign the same footprint as you removed. Doing this picks up changes. Then you can go to the schematic, select the components and update from the library. Finally you go to the pcb and renew from schematic. All changes propagate.

I suppose a good feature would be a "Refresh" button in the assign footprint to component dialog box that would force an update. It would save a lot of clicks.

Best regards,
Bill

KevinA

#4 Post by KevinA » 12 Oct 2016, 09:39

btribley wrote: I discovered the issue this morning: in the new interface to assign a footprint it is not enough to just open and save like the old one. There are two boxes on the right, one for current and one for new. First you have to remove the footprint from the component and save. Then go back and assign the same footprint as you removed. Doing this picks up changes. Then you can go to the schematic, select the components and update from the library. Finally you go to the pcb and renew from schematic. All changes propagate.

I suppose a good feature would be a "Refresh" button in the assign footprint to component dialog box that would force an update. It would save a lot of clicks.
Best regards,
Bill
I second this, I just spent serious time trying to move the pin one silkscreen mark, opened pattern editor a few seconds it was moved then tried to find UPDATE in the component editor, no joy. Since the component editor couldn't see the update I was wasting my time with trying to update anything else.

Please add this to things that need to be fixed, if I need to move something in the silkscreen this is a lot of work.

john coloccia

#5 Post by john coloccia » 16 Oct 2016, 23:34

In 2.4, there's no need to remove anything. Just find the pattern you just updated in your pattern library, and click on it as though you were assigning a new pattern. You'll see it update.

I just tried it in 3.0, and it works there as well. Yes, propagating patterns is a royal PITA. The Component library is really a Component and Pattern library. The pattern "library" is just a holding pen for various patterns you develop. Once you link the pattern with the component, that pattern lives in the component library and no longer has any relationship to where it came from in the pattern library, so until you update the component...and then update the schematic...and then propagate the change forward, nothing happens.