2.3.5 beta with STEP/IGES available

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
Alex
Technical Support

Re: 2.3.5 beta with STEP/IGES available

#31 Post by Alex » 11 Feb 2014, 03:08

andyf97 wrote:Would be great if in PCB it was possible to shrink the right panes that contain Layers, Objects and Properties..
F3 hot key shows/hides the right panel.

-- 11 Feb 2014, 17:12 --
timb.us wrote:Okay, if I install the beta on Windows, are the saves compatible with the current stable release? (I.e., can I work on files with the new beta on Windows and the current stable release on OS X?)

Secondly, when this goes stable, will the OS X release be native (built with the new Delphi) or still have the WINE wrapper? If not, what's the ETA for the native OS X version?

Finally, what's the ETA on this beta going stable?

Thanks for all the hard work you guys do on this, especially for providing an OS X version at all. That's something no other EDA but Eagle (and KiCad I guess) does!
Beta version can open files from version 2.3, but version 2.3 can't open files from the beta. DipTrace ASCII format should be used to transfer files from newer to older version.
Stable OSX version 2.4 won't be native, we will use Wine. I don't know when native version will be available.
We expect stable version in 1-2 month.

SparkyLabs

#32 Post by SparkyLabs » 06 Apr 2014, 20:18

When will there be the next update ?

Alex
Technical Support

#33 Post by Alex » 07 Apr 2014, 06:46

We prepare stable version for release. It will be ready soon, maybe this month.

knik

#34 Post by knik » 08 Apr 2014, 20:52

How can I change color scheme to black in library editor?

Edit: I was searching for new bugs but it looks like i found old bug. When you change color in Pcb or Schem and click Edit Library, the library editor is started with old colors.
Last edited by knik on 10 Apr 2014, 02:34, edited 2 times in total.

knik

#35 Post by knik » 09 Apr 2014, 00:18

I'm trying to reproduce this problem but I can't, maybe you guys could describe it in more details.
Anyway, I was trying DipTrace in older versions of wine and it was so slow I just couldn't use it, with recent wine all seems OK.
evanh wrote:
Adam Schabtach wrote:@evanh: have you actually tried the beta under Wine yet? I'm curious just because I tried it and encountered an odd lag in redrawing. It seemed as though that any redraw was delayed until I moved the mouse pointer. Obviously this made editing difficult, and I gave up. I didn't report the problem here (until now) because I am new to using Wine and didn't know what kind of performance to expect. (I was using Kubuntu 13.10 and whatever the current version of Wine is, FWIW.)
Yep. All my comments are exclusively Wine only. I haven't had a copy of Windoze for 10 years or so ... err, I still have Win98 on a laptop somewhere but I haven't booted that for a number of years now.

That bug (Not a delay but rather it waits indefinitely for the mouse pointer to pass over a changed feature or clicked in the edit space.) is the norm and always has been for me. I do know that the bug goes away in GDI mode, presumably because OpenGL is not used. However GDI mode has it's own problems. It is slow and stuttery and someone also said it glitches a lot. I'm happy enough with managing the OpenGL bug so will stick with that. DirectX also has the bug, likely because DirectX calls are translated to OpenGL by Wine.

grieblm

#36 Post by grieblm » 06 May 2014, 22:31

Good news on the update! Any ideas when the native Mac OS version might be available?

Parkeruser

#37 Post by Parkeruser » 08 May 2014, 05:59

Awesome job on the Beta :D the 3D STEP export is a godsend, seamless upload into Inventor. A full release is most welcome.

GSnyder

#38 Post by GSnyder » 14 May 2014, 20:38

Just as a heads-up, .dsn files exported by the "Export Autorouter DSN" file menu command no longer seem to be compatible with the freerouting.net autorouter. Attempting to load a .dsn file generated by the DipTrace beta just produces an "unable to parse" message.

I don't see any error log and don't know whose side the problem might be on, but if you care about interchange with this autorouter it might be worth investigating. It does a reasonable job, pretty much comparable to DipTrace's internal autorouter. But the exact details are different from DipTrace's solutions, so it's always nice to have another option.

SparkyLabs

#39 Post by SparkyLabs » 14 May 2014, 22:25

oh Dear, I am working on a new project and was going to use free router as it does do a better job than diptraces own, it's better at finding the best path and comes out nice with better corners etc. We need this to work.

sleemanj

#40 Post by sleemanj » 15 May 2014, 20:10

GSnyder wrote:Just as a heads-up, .dsn files exported by the "Export Autorouter DSN" file menu command no longer seem to be compatible with the freerouting.net autorouter. Attempting to load a .dsn file generated by the DipTrace beta just produces an "unable to parse" message.
I experienced this problem once (in general, it doesn't happen), it was from memory down to one of the layers being defined as "mixed", which freerouting does not support, I forget what caused the layer to be defined as mixed. From memory, I fixed it by hand-editing the dsn file and changing the layer to signal, then it worked fine.