2.3.5 beta with STEP/IGES available

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
evanh

Re: 2.3.5 beta with STEP/IGES available

#11 Post by evanh » 17 Jan 2014, 15:10

uschott wrote:But be aware! Next time if you start your old Diptrace then Library path now points to DipTraceBeta Folder (!), so I must change Lib path back to old Diptrace Folder and vice versa.
Wine for the win. Great for exactly this sort of testing. Being an app level interface it has the filesystem benefits similar to virtualisation but without all the low level OS hosting problems and reinstall grind than usually comes with such an approach. Wine even supports a simple prefix redefine for testing alternate OS configs of a single app install. Or multiple - multiple for that matter.

-- 18 Jan 2014, 14:16 --
novarm44 wrote: - all information is available in Mantis: http://www.novarm.com/mantis
Nice! ... login creation wasn't too hard either ...

enly1

#12 Post by enly1 » 18 Jan 2014, 01:29

Any chance of some screenshots etc to show off the new UI.

Don't want to break the current install, but am interesting as the UI is a key area for me...

vectorspace

Re: 2.3.5 beta Problem Running on win8pro/surface

#13 Post by vectorspace » 18 Jan 2014, 08:26

All four applications fail to start either directly or through Launcher (Launcher runs fine).

Surface Pro, Windows 8 Pro
DipTraceErrorMessage.jpg
DipTraceErrorMessage.jpg (41.36 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Environmennt.jpg
Environmennt.jpg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Version 2.3.1.0 is running fine on this same system.

Adam Schabtach

#14 Post by Adam Schabtach » 18 Jan 2014, 08:30

@evanh: have you actually tried the beta under Wine yet? I'm curious just because I tried it and encountered an odd lag in redrawing. It seemed as though that any redraw was delayed until I moved the mouse pointer. Obviously this made editing difficult, and I gave up. I didn't report the problem here (until now) because I am new to using Wine and didn't know what kind of performance to expect. (I was using Kubuntu 13.10 and whatever the current version of Wine is, FWIW.)

uschott
Expert

#15 Post by uschott » 18 Jan 2014, 15:42

There is a new beta v2.3.5.2 of build jan 17. to download.

It now installs on windows 7 default to
C:\Program Files\DipTrace Beta

This beta is no more confusing with the old diptrace lib path, as I wrote earlier.

Thanks to the guys of Novarm!

rullywowr

#16 Post by rullywowr » 19 Jan 2014, 05:39

enly1 wrote:Any chance of some screenshots etc to show off the new UI.

Don't want to break the current install, but am interesting as the UI is a key area for me...
All in all, it is a welcome improvement. I enjoy the new library navigation. Here are some screenshots of schematic editor and PCB Layout:

evanh

#17 Post by evanh » 21 Jan 2014, 23:24

Adam Schabtach wrote:@evanh: have you actually tried the beta under Wine yet? I'm curious just because I tried it and encountered an odd lag in redrawing. It seemed as though that any redraw was delayed until I moved the mouse pointer. Obviously this made editing difficult, and I gave up. I didn't report the problem here (until now) because I am new to using Wine and didn't know what kind of performance to expect. (I was using Kubuntu 13.10 and whatever the current version of Wine is, FWIW.)
Yep. All my comments are exclusively Wine only. I haven't had a copy of Windoze for 10 years or so ... err, I still have Win98 on a laptop somewhere but I haven't booted that for a number of years now.

That bug (Not a delay but rather it waits indefinitely for the mouse pointer to pass over a changed feature or clicked in the edit space.) is the norm and always has been for me. I do know that the bug goes away in GDI mode, presumably because OpenGL is not used. However GDI mode has it's own problems. It is slow and stuttery and someone also said it glitches a lot. I'm happy enough with managing the OpenGL bug so will stick with that. DirectX also has the bug, likely because DirectX calls are translated to OpenGL by Wine.

uschott
Expert

#18 Post by uschott » 22 Jan 2014, 02:47

evanh wrote: Wine for the win. Great for exactly this sort of testing. Being an app level interface it has the filesystem benefits similar to virtualisation but without all the low level OS hosting problems and reinstall grind than usually comes with such an approach. Wine even supports a simple prefix redefine for testing alternate OS configs of a single app install. Or multiple - multiple for that matter.
It depends on what windows version you are running. To use Wine on Windows you have to install the Microsoft Utilities and SDK for Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications. That's a 473 MB pack for Win Vista/Windows Server 2008 and 253 MB pack for Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Server 2008 R2. There is no such Utilities and SDK for Subsystem for a Windows 7 Home Premium, so I think it's not possible to run Wine on a Windows Home Premium System.

One could use VirtualBox as a virtual machine and install Diptrace there. But it does only support slow GDI mode and not directx or opengl as far as I know. That would be a significant limitation for testing.

us

evanh

#19 Post by evanh » 22 Jan 2014, 09:34

uschott wrote:That's a 473 MB pack for Win Vista/Windows Server 2008 and 253 MB pack for Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Server 2008 R2.
Wow. Most people buy Win Pro I thought but, from what you've written, it doesn't work on Win Pro either. That does seem limiting.

RFEngineer

#20 Post by RFEngineer » 22 Jan 2014, 11:17

novarm44 wrote:
Conversly, if a bug still has not been fixed, we will still have to use a work-around.
ALL known and reported bugs (not feature requests or waysof work considered by users as bugs) have been fixed - all information is available in Mantis: http://www.novarm.com/mantis .
If bug/feature request is not fixed yet - it is red in Mantis or requesting more info/displaying our comments. All bugs reported by email/forum and bugs from our internal testing (including intermediate version issues) are in our internal Mantis project. It is not available for all users, but I can easily add you to it if you know Russian and can at least read it. If you didn't report a bug and no other guys or our testers report it - it is not fixed yet.

Please let me know what bug do you mean and I will let you know if we fixed it or not.
1.) Is this beta 100% compatible with existing files (patterns & component libraries, schematics & pcb files)?
All files are forward compatible, i.e. beta can read all existing files.
2.) Will this beta alter any existing files (patterns & component libraries, schematics & pcb files) in such a way that would then make our existing work incompatible with earlier versions of Diptrace?
Yes, if you overwrite binary file, previous version will not be able to read it. But you can easily return to previous version via DipTrace ASCII format which is backward compatible. The reason why binary file is not backward compatible is support of unicode - all strings have 2 bytes per sybmol now, in 2.3.1 - 1 byte per symbol.
3.) Will this beta overwrite our currently installed version of Diptrace or can it be installed along side an existing installation of Diptrace? (This would allow a user to switch back and forth from a stable version to the beta providing the files are 100% compatible.)
If you install it to separate folder - you can use both versions simultaneously, but libraries should be loaded from stable version (stable version can not read beta libraries). Also notice binary files saved with beta can not be opened by stable version directly.
I'm seeing compatibility errors in PC Layout. See the attached screen snapshot.

Paul

-- 22 Jan 2014, 18:23 --

Here's another that shows some bizarre errors..

Using Win XP, SP3.
Attachments
Beta Sample - PCB Layout-1.JPG
Beta Sample - PCB Layout-1.JPG (204.69 KiB) Viewed 740 times
Beta Sample - PCB Layout.JPG
Beta Sample - PCB Layout.JPG (267.03 KiB) Viewed 740 times