2.2.9 beta has been published

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

2.2.9 beta has been published

#1 Post by novarm44 » 01 Aug 2012, 23:49

Hello All,

We have published new beta version today.
You can download it from
http://www.diptrace.com/downloads/dipfree_beta.exe

See the list of new features below. Currently program (our current
protection) is not compatible with Windows 8 yet, this is our next task
after publishing beta - 2.3 will be compatible.

During beta period we plan to add more "small, but necessary"
features to polish UI and make your work easier. Release of 2.3 is
planned for September. After release we would like to spend more time on
optimizing existing features, than creating new ones, before the next
global stage of making enterprise-class application with high-end features.

New features in 2.2.9 beta:
1. Online DRC - dynamically checks design rules while you add objects, route traces or edit anything in layout. Static DRC check was improved and optimized.
2. 3D VRML 2.0 Export of PC board (see in 3D preview).
3. Custom Non-Signal layers.
4. Arranging PCB components by hierarchical blocks. Copying routing/placement between similar blocks.
5. Automatic showing/hiding ratlines for copper pours depending on pouring and traces ("Hide Ratlines" option was removed).
6. Pour priority for copper pour.
7. Separate "Place Ratline" mode, no more ratlines in "default" and "edit traces" modes.
8. Configuring and saving filenames for Gerber export by layers (name and extension for each layer).
9. Exporting dimensions into Gerber and DXF.
10. Checking pin/wire superimposing without connection in Schematic ERC.
11. Backward compatibility of binary file formats starting from this version (it can open files of further versions).
12. Library update: 8000+ new components, euro symbols, new patterns.

...many speed/size optimization improvements and bug fixes.

Regards,
DipTrace Team

evanh

Thanks to the Diptrace team

#2 Post by evanh » 02 Aug 2012, 05:05

One nice fix is the schematic editor now handles net to component connections in a tidy manner when the pins are on-grid. Thanks heaps.

Off-grid pins are a bit of a nightmare but I don't intended to do that myself.

One happy camper here.

andre.araujo

Re: 2.2.9 beta has been published

#3 Post by andre.araujo » 03 Aug 2012, 09:42

Very good piece of news!

Keep up the very nice work! :D

oleg

#4 Post by oleg » 04 Aug 2012, 03:43

Is it safe to install it along with the existing stable version, or it will replace something?

wossname

#5 Post by wossname » 04 Aug 2012, 08:16

What's the deal with the show/hide ratlines for Copper Pours? I have just loaded up an old board layout from 2.2.0.7 (which was configured to HIDE ratlines) and now all the ratlines are visible in the 2.2.9 beta. How do I make the copper pour ratlines disappear?

evanh

#6 Post by evanh » 04 Aug 2012, 14:47

oleg wrote:Is it safe to install it along with the existing stable version, or it will replace something?
I can't say for sure as I'm using Wine but I don't see a problem with having two installs side by side. Just make sure the install directory has a different name from what is already there. Though, you'll want to at least use copies of your work files. The older 2.2.0 can't load files that have been touched by 2.2.9.

On that note, the beta probably should be versioned 2.3.x as it has new features and not just bug fixes.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#7 Post by novarm44 » 04 Aug 2012, 17:27

What's the deal with the show/hide ratlines for Copper Pours? I have just loaded up an old board layout from 2.2.0.7 (which was configured to HIDE ratlines) and now all the ratlines are visible in the 2.2.9 beta. How do I make the copper pour ratlines disappear?
Pour the copper pour and it will hide ratlines for connected pads. If copper pour is non-poured or there is no copper connection between pads - ratlines are visible.

mhebert3

#8 Post by mhebert3 » 07 Aug 2012, 03:32

Great feature adds! The online DRC is great!

My only suggestion would be to still be able to have copper pours hide ratlines when not poured. I very much like that the program can now tell that a copper pour is electrically connecting pads, vias, etc., but without the pours filled, I have ratlines everywhere. It very difficult to work with copper pours filled in since it effects the speed of the program, and I have to re-update the pours every time I move a via, which is also very time consuming. I have attached a picture to show a layout that is 100% electrically connected when I fill in the pours, and it demonstrates how many ratlines I'd have to ignore while working on the layout.

Again, great work, I'm looking forward to v2.3!

-Matt
Attachments
ratlines.png
ratlines.png (180.26 KiB) Viewed 1508 times

Alex
Technical Support

#9 Post by Alex » 09 Aug 2012, 05:55

We will add option for hiding ratlines for specified net. This option was locked after improving copper pours in the beta version, but we decided to open the option again.

tracecom

#10 Post by tracecom » 30 Sep 2012, 11:25

September is over. When will 2.3 be ready? Thanks.