DipTrace 3.0 beta

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
Zuph

Re: DipTrace 3.0 beta

#11 Post by Zuph » 23 Feb 2016, 10:04

Awesome, really enjoying the new features of 3.0.

Running into one problem with differential routing:

If the pads of the differential net are closer together than the primary gap, a DRC error is always present. I'd much rather not have to ignore DRC errors.

Darth_Vader

#12 Post by Darth_Vader » 23 Feb 2016, 18:30

novarm44 wrote:This version is 30-day trial and registration keys of 2.0-2.9 will not work here.
Планируется ли в будущем раздавать свободные ключи для любительского использования?

fdemir

#13 Post by fdemir » 24 Feb 2016, 06:41

novarm44 wrote:
vetsen wrote:I am using Windows 8 and I have installed 2.4 and the new 3.0 beta. When compared to 2.4, the new beta takes forever to load. Sometimes PCB hangs on the splash screen.

2.4 is very fast to load. Even on the same machine.

-Vetsen
The reason is new protection system and RISC virtual machine which is used to virtualize some parts of code. I have tried it on the slowest PC I have (Pentium 3558U) - it looks not critical (other CAD and development application takes much more time to load), however running 2.4 is faster and more comfortable - it's true. We will try to use less sophisticated virtual machine and see how it works.
3.0 Beta loading very slowly. Please see pic below (starting time in sec)
PC:Win7 64bit ;4GB RAM;i3 4130 3,4GHz cpu;
Attachments
diptrace-start.png
diptrace-start.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 965 times

Alex
Technical Support

#14 Post by Alex » 25 Feb 2016, 21:59

DipTrace beta version 3.0 starts slowly on home machine of our employee. The reason of that is Nod32 antivirus. Disabling the antivirus doesn't help but after uninstalling the antivirus DipTrace starts quickly. Moreover, new installation of Nod32 doesn't bring back slow starts of DipTrace beta. So you can reinstall your antivirus to fix the issue with slow starts.

-- 26 Feb 2016, 12:04 --
Darth_Vader wrote:Планируется ли в будущем раздавать свободные ключи для любительского использования?
We will distribute license keys for Non Profit Lite edition for version 3.

Jiisuki

#15 Post by Jiisuki » 01 Mar 2016, 22:34

Windows Defender found a trojan in Schematic.exe (Win32/Tulim.B!plock) on my fresh install.
Tried to re-download the beta installation files but same thing. The other applications did not have any problems starting.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#16 Post by novarm44 » 02 Mar 2016, 21:38

fdemir wrote:
novarm44 wrote:
vetsen wrote:I am using Windows 8 and I have installed 2.4 and the new 3.0 beta. When compared to 2.4, the new beta takes forever to load. Sometimes PCB hangs on the splash screen.

2.4 is very fast to load. Even on the same machine.

-Vetsen
The reason is new protection system and RISC virtual machine which is used to virtualize some parts of code. I have tried it on the slowest PC I have (Pentium 3558U) - it looks not critical (other CAD and development application takes much more time to load), however running 2.4 is faster and more comfortable - it's true. We will try to use less sophisticated virtual machine and see how it works.
3.0 Beta loading very slowly. Please see pic below (starting time in sec)
PC:Win7 64bit ;4GB RAM;i3 4130 3,4GHz cpu;
I have tried to add simple virtual machine of our new protector, but it just crashes application - looks like they didn't debug it completely, spending more time on RISC virtual machine. I'm now playing with its settings and markers within source code to speed-up loading.

0xdeadbeef

#17 Post by 0xdeadbeef » 05 Mar 2016, 03:02

Reading this makes me shudder. I like(d) DipTrace because of fast startup, good performance and fair license policy.
So wasting development resources to make DipTrace slower to implement obscure protection mechanisms seems like a terrible idea.
Stuff like this drove me away from tools like UltraEdit even though I have a lifetime license.
Please understand that increasing the protection level doesn't increase sales - quite the opposite is true.
Instead you should invest this efforts into a faster development speed, finally fixing some of the issues that were reported years ago and implementing features like push&shove.
It's much more efficient to release an update every month to make pirated versions obsolete than wasting money in protection mechanisms.
I'd willingly upgrade my license to 3.0 just to support you if I'd see a bit more progress on new feaures and bugfixes but reading about implementing slowish virtual machine protection crap instead makes me think about alternatives again.

Borg

#18 Post by Borg » 05 Mar 2016, 09:27

@0xdeadbeef
I completely agree with you!

HolgerLembke

#19 Post by HolgerLembke » 07 Mar 2016, 11:32

@0xdeadbeef

same thought here. energy spend into wrong task.

fix the errors, make the interface more usable.

things I dislike during daily work:
- click on "zoom window" but don't zoom. click on "zoom extents" (works), click on "default mode". program is still in zoom window mode
- click on design manager. object is selected but properties are not shown.
- user filter. it is soooooo slow. reads libs every time. my machine has lots of cpu and ram, so please use it.

these things would make great updates.... reading about slowing down due to protection made me installing Kicad and look how they are....

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#20 Post by novarm44 » 07 Mar 2016, 20:37

The issue with slow protection has been resolved (3.0 release is planned for March 10 - all things are already made, now we are making pre-release tests). I have set virtual machine settings to minimum and now it works as fast as 2.4.
In 3.0 we used our own key generation algorithm to allow more flexible license policy/management and use similar keys for further native mac version. Modern third-party protection solution is used only to protect it from disassembling (all features are set to minimum to maximize speed and compatibility), also we can replace it without changing reg keys with ease. In 2.x we were forced to use outdated ExeCryptor as used its settings for key generation. Making key generation of course take some time, but it was necessary to avoid using third-party solutions for that. Virtual-machine for disassembling did not take much time as it is not ours.

I will check the issue with zoom window and default mode.
Extending design manager and faster filter currently in plans.