Next update with new features ?

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
MonGater

Re: Next update with new features ?

#11 Post by MonGater » 03 Jul 2015, 00:52

Maybe trying ways to protect the software with cripple feature and also 90% of most Ukrainians uses pirated software, which lead to slowing of development process?

SparkyLabs

#12 Post by SparkyLabs » 05 Jul 2015, 18:53

I think the 300 pin limit is a bit generous, reduce it to 150 and more will buy a licence

Serg
Technical Support

#13 Post by Serg » 05 Jul 2015, 23:41

Hello,

We will try to consider all protect offers in a future.

Serg Luts
DipTrace Team

Zippi

#14 Post by Zippi » 21 Jul 2015, 11:31

Hi,

when will Diptrace 2.9 Release?
Every day i look on Diptrace Page for new update :).

0xdeadbeef

#15 Post by 0xdeadbeef » 22 Jul 2015, 05:42

Oh please, don't cripple this nice piece of software with over the top protection.
That's how I was driven from UltraEdit to Notepad++ even though I have a lifetime license for UltraEdit.

I agree though that development speed is much too slow (even compared to a one man show like AutoTRAX DEX).
Indeed this is not only frustrating for the customers but will also drive them away in the long run.
And if this issue is caused by too little profit due to a too relaxed license policy than you should definitely rethink your license model.
While excessive annual license costs would also drive me away from DipTrace, I could live with a model similar to that of QCAD Pro:

- For the price of the license, you get e.g. one year of free updates.
- After that year you can freely decide if you want to keep your version or if you want to buy another year of free upgrades.
- This upgrade fee should be only a certain percentage of the original license price.
- Obviously this would only work if there were several updates per year with definitive functional improvements.

E.g. I paid $125 or so for the non-profit standard license two years ago. In that time I think there was one major update
with some actual improvements.
While I didn't really use DipTrace heavily (some hobby projects per year), this price/update ratio is ok for me.
Then again, if there had been dozens of interesting updates, i had gladly spent another $50 or so per year to get another year
of updates.

uschott
Expert

#16 Post by uschott » 22 Jul 2015, 09:32

sl_sergey wrote:Hello,

We will try to consider all protect offers in a future.

Serg Luts
DipTrace Team
Don't do that, unless you want to lose a lot of your customers to the competition. Diptrace should convince with cool features, not with crippled annoying limitations. Please do not fumble around with the license terms. Leave it as it is!! These are perfect for your customers.

Regards,
uschott

mgriebling

#17 Post by mgriebling » 23 Jul 2015, 01:12

MonGater wrote:Maybe trying ways to protect the software with cripple feature and also 90% of most Ukrainians uses pirated software, which lead to slowing of development process?
People who steal software won't buy software unless it's reasonably priced. Protecting it is a waste of time and effort.
Better spend the time porting your software to a native Mac version where people actually buy software and don't steal it.
I really would love a native Mac version! ;-)
Don't really care as much about database support or impedance matching (although that seems like a useful feature).

Tomg
Expert

#18 Post by Tomg » 23 Jul 2015, 23:08

With the new features about to be implemented in Kicad's next stable release (push & shove) and the recent introduction of Altium's free CircuitMaker, DipTrace's price/performance ratio is beginning to become less appealing to the more budget-minded designers out there. And any il-advised price increase or license policy adjustment might fly DipTrace’s Icarus too close to the Labcenter Proteus sun.

For now, DipTrace is at the sweet spot for features, price, upgrade paths and licensing schemes. I for one hope they can keep, and perhaps increase, their market share through smart, efficient and continuous innovation. Even a simple thing like changing font types and freshening up the User Interface to make it look like it belongs in the 21st century would go a long way in showing current and future customers that DipTrace is still a relevant alternative.

-Tom
Tom

jrRIAutomation

#19 Post by jrRIAutomation » 26 Jul 2015, 07:14

This is my take on what you should focus on if you want to increase your revenue.

I have been searching for the best package for my needs and it seemed that if it wasn't Eagle or Kicad then it had to be one of the expensive packages that were out of my budget.

I just last night stumbled across DipTrace and tried it out and felt such a relief that I finally found something that works great and was user friendly. I didn't have to go through some huge learning curve only to be frustrated over and over as I deal with the illogical cumbersome ways to do things like I do in either of the others I've tried.

In my eyes time is very valuable so Kicad is not free. It takes much longer to do things. For someone playing around just for a hobby after coming home from their day job Kicad may be ok. For me, in business, I need something that will reduce wasted time. DipTrace fits my needs perfectly from what I see so far.

The problem is not pricing for DipTrace. One problem is that visability. People need to know it exists and it is not one of the known contenders. It's certainly worthy of being a contender with any other package but too few people know it is there.

Second - and I don't want to upset anyone - in seeing just the name, it doesn't provoke one to think it has much to do with schematic capture and pcb design. That is just my opinion. Even if it was shortened to something like DT Cad or DTrace Cad would give a better idea that it might be what I'm looking for.

I know on one of the big electronics distributors sites I can download the Eagle file for a given component. I suggest looking at what it might take to give Digikey, Element14 etc. DipTrace component and footprint files to be downloadable from their component pages. That would go along way to increase visability and I'm sure would make DipTrace one of the premier packages.

Those are my thoughts.

Alex
Technical Support

#20 Post by Alex » 27 Jul 2015, 01:37

We are testing the beta version. It will be released in two weeks.