Post subject: A couple of noob questions.
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 19:30 

Hi there,

I've got a few questions, and more I'm sure I will add to this later.

Regarding PCB Editor:
A.) What is the difference between Arrange Components and Auto Placement? Which one should I use to design my PCB.
[*]Arrange components option places all components close to each other, auto placement optimizes placement to reach minimum length of ratlines.
B.) Is there away to use either option above, and have the application place components on both sides of the board?
[*]Software can't move components to opposite side in automatic mode. You can move some component manually from top to bottom side and run auto placement.
C.) What are the smallest, and closest, I should can set my traces to? (Trying to make my PCB as small as possible)
[*]It depends on many factors: signal parameters (maximum current, voltage) and manufacturing capabilities.
D.) How come some times when I run Autorouter, I'm left with several Ratlines (The purple lines) How can I eliminate these?
[*]Try to rearrange component placement, check net class parameters and set smaller clearance and trace width if possible. Make sure you use shape router (it's better).

Regarding Schematic Editor:
None

Regarding Pattern Editor:
None

Regarding Component Editor:
None

General:
A.) What is this? *Figure 1*
B.) What is this? *Figure 2*
C.) What is this? *Figure 3*
D.) What is this? *Figure 4*
E.) What is this? *Figure 5*

Again, I will add some questions here if I think of/come across anymore.

Last edited by level42 on 10 Jul 2013, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A couple of noob questions.
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 02:25 
Technical Support

[quote="level42"]
A.) What is the difference between Arrange Components and Auto Placement? Which one should I use to design my PCB.
B.) Is there away to use either option above, and have the application place components on both sides of the board?
C.) What are the smallest, and closest, I should can set my traces to? (Trying to make my PCB as small as possible)
D.) How come some times when I run Autorouter, I'm left with several Ratlines (The purple lines) How can I eliminate these?/quote]

A) Arrange components option places all components close to each other, auto placement optimizes placement to reach minimum length of ratlines.
B) Software can't move components to opposite side in automatic mode. You can move some component manually from top to bottom side and run auto placement.
C) It depends on many factors: signal parameters (maximum current, voltage) and manufacturing capabilities.
D) Try to rearrange component placement, check net class parameters and set smaller clearance and trace width if possible. Make sure you use shape router (it's better).

Post subject: Re: A couple of noob questions.
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 20:50 

I appreciate the info, hopefully I can get this PCB as small as possible.

Thanks.