Standard Component Diminsions

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
DANIEL984

Standard Component Diminsions

#1 Post by DANIEL984 » 28 Jul 2016, 13:03

Hello I am looking for some sort of reference about the standard size of electronic components, such as the dimensional size of a 1/4 watt resistor to begin my layout so that I know which resistor model to select from DIP Trace. I am familiar with various transistor sizes and their packages, but never have considered the size of resistors before. Also any references on the sizes of all sort of electronic component will come in handy as I progress along, so if anyone wants to post some links to pages as well as files etc that will help me.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Standard Component Diminsions

#2 Post by Tomg » 28 Jul 2016, 22:59

Component sizes and shapes can vary widely depending on function, voltage, wattage, value, materials, etc., especially for things like through-hole capacitors. As far as SMD components go, there are standard sizes, but there are also cases (e.g. resistors) where you may not be able to associate one specific size with a specific wattage rating. For starters, here is a link to a reference for basic resistor sizes - http://www.resistorguide.com/resistor-s ... -packages/
Tom

DANIEL984

Re: Standard Component Diminsions

#3 Post by DANIEL984 » 29 Jul 2016, 05:33

Tomg wrote:Component sizes and shapes can vary widely depending on function, voltage, wattage, value, materials, etc., especially for things like through-hole capacitors. As far as SMD components go, there are standard sizes, but there are also cases (e.g. resistors) where you may not be able to associate one specific size with a specific wattage rating. For starters, here is a link to a reference for basic resistor sizes - http://www.resistorguide.com/resistor-s ... -packages/
Thanks Tomg, Thanks for the link! Also fortunately today Jameco Electronics sent me their new catalog and it has the dimensions of their parts listed, and since I am designing something for their club and using their parts I will be able to use their catalog as a guide. I have found the resistor dimensions so that will be of great help.

Transistors usually are listed with the type of package they come in so I know them already. And again thanks for the link!