Post subject: Copper pour and grid questions
PostPosted: 19 May 2016, 05:21 

Hi, I'm new to Diptrace and I'm looking for some help with the Cooper pour and Grid features.

I have a relatively small board (60mm x 50mm - 2.3" x 2") and I would like to add a pour (I used to know it as fill) in small areas.

However, when I try to add the pour, I'm finding it very difficult to fill right up to the traces.

Also - when moving components, I find the cursor movement very coarse, to the point where I'm struggling to line parts up.

I have tried the usual trick of holding the shift of control key whilst dragging but this doesn't help.

I have attached a picture of my board to show the fill issue. Ideally, I want to completely fill all the areas that are marked with the red borders.

I may be approaching this completely wrong, and if I am then please guide me.

Thanks,
Tony.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Copper pour and grid questions
PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 05:13 
Expert

TonyA wrote:
"...Ideally, I want to completely fill all the areas that are marked with the red borders..."

If you need to fill up the voids between your traces, draw pours instead and assign them to the desired Nets. If you need to place pours between the traces without connecting, draw pour outlines on or near the traces and make sure they are not assigned to the same Nets as those traces.

Setting up multiple grid sizes
In the Main Menu select View, in the drop-down menu select Customize Grid... and in the Customize Grid dialog window, add the desired grid sizes.

Choosing different grid sizes
Use the hotkey combinations Ctrl + or Ctrl - to scroll through the grid sizes set up in the step above.

Fine cursor movement
Temporarily turn off the grid. The grid can be toggled on/off by pressing softkey F11. Be aware that the snap function only works when the grid is on.

Precise placement of copper pour
Option A: Right-click on the copper pour outline, select Properties... in the pop-up menu and click on the Border tab in the Copper Pour Properties dialog window where you will be able to modify the "Points" (coordinates) of the copper pour border.
Option B: Choose a finer grid pitch (or turn off the grid) and zoom in using the mouse wheel.

Filling up to the traces without connecting
Select a smaller grid size, place the copper pour outline very close to (or right on) the traces themselves and adjust the clearance under the Pouring tab of the Copper Pour Properties dialog window. To more easily select the copper pour outline when it is on the traces, go to the Design Manager on the right side of the screen and click on the Objects tab at the top. Choose Displaying and Selection in the drop-down list and deselect [ ] Traces. Don't forget to re-enable [x] Traces when you have finished adjusting the pour outline. Make sure the copper pour is not connected to the same Net as the traces.

Connecting a pour to a Net
Right-click on the copper pour outline, select Properties... in the pop-up menu and click on the Connectivity tab in the Copper Pour Properties dialog window where you will be able to select a Net in the Connect to Net drop-down list.

Updating copper pours after making changes
In the Main Menu select Objects and then in the drop-down menu select Update All Copper Pours. If you are using DipTrace version 3, you can assign hotkeys for pouring and un-pouring all copper pours to make things easier.

PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 07:17 

Tom,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I managed to work out that changing the grid spacing enabled finer placement. I had been looking for the ability to disable 'snap to grid' (as is pretty standard usually!).

I didn't realise that turning off the grid disabled the snap to grid feature as well - one usually wants the grid present no matter what, when trying to perform fine alignment.

Regarding the copper pour - purely by chance, I discovered that simply drawing a pour in some random blank area of the board, and then selecting "Depending on board" in the "Border" tab of properties, and then under connectivity electing to connect it to my ground net, I was able to get a complete pour across the board - not quite what I was looking for, but far quicker and far less traumatic than trying to draw around pads etc!

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 08:21 
Expert

If you are pouring over an entire layer, the Island Removal settings under the Pouring tab in the Copper Pour Properties dialog window will give you a little more control.

Last edited by Tomg on 20 May 2016, 09:36, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 09:32 

Tom, thank you.

I finally have a board I'm satisfied with. (on paper at least!)

I find it odd that the tracks show through the pour - is this normal? Or should I not have routed those tracks prior to adding the copper pour?

Image snapshot taken from the 3d preview.

Thanks again
Tony.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 09:43 
Expert

TonyA wrote:
"...I find it odd that the tracks show through the pour - is this normal? Or should I not have routed those tracks prior to adding the copper pour?..."
The traces show up because you have selected a "hatched" pattern for the pour and the traces are solid. The traces are unnecessary as long as the pours connect to the desired pins and vias. Be sure to select some sort of thermal relief for the pour to prevent heat sinking while soldering component pins. For more control over your pour, you can draw shapes on the Route Keepout layer to prevent a pour from inhabiting specific areas. Don't forget to re-pour after adding the Route Keepout shapes.