Post subject: Component pin numbering
PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 16:51 

In the Schematic Capture screen I have placed an integrated circuit component from the Diptrace library but the pin numbers do not match the physical pins of the component. IOW, the pin numbers are not 1 thru 8 on one side and 9 thru 16 on the other side. I understand that the way they are presented may be more logical from a design perspective, but in my situation I prefer the pin numbers to appear in their actual physical locations.

Is there a way to change the pins display?

BTW, I am new to Diptrace and I am encouraged so-far by it's user friendliness.

Thanks,
Frank

Post subject: Re: Component pin numbering
PostPosted: 18 May 2016, 07:05 
Expert

frank2644 wrote:
"...Is there a way to change the pins display?..."
DipTrace does not allow the user to re-arrange a component's pins in the schematic. Instead, you will have to create a custom component in one of your User Components libraries (or create a new User Components library) featuring the pin arrangement you prefer, then replace the original component in the schematic with the modified component. An easy way to do this is to copy the original component into a custom library, modify it and resave the custom library. Here's how...

1) Launch the Component Editor.
2) In the component placement area on the left side of the screen, select the User Components group.
3) Select/highlight a destination/custom library; or create a new custom library using the Library Tools panel.
4) Click on the Component Tools panel and select Insert Components from Another Library... in the pop-up menu.
5) In the Insert Components dialog window, choose the Components group, find and select the original library and component, then click on [Insert].
6) A copy of the original component should now be displayed in the Design Area. Re-arrange the pins as you see fit and resave the destination/custom library.
7) Replace the component in the schematic with the newly-modified component, then resave the schematic.
8) If the component also exists on the PCB, launch the PCB Layout editor, use the Renew Layout from Schematic tool to update it and then resave the PCB.

Post subject: Re: Component pin numbering
PostPosted: 18 May 2016, 10:32 

Tomg wrote:
frank2644 wrote:
"...Is there a way to change the pins display?..."
DipTrace does not allow the user to re-arrange a component's pins in the schematic. Instead, you will have to create a custom component in one of your User Components libraries (or create a new User Components library) featuring the pin arrangement you prefer, then replace the original component in the schematic with the modified component. An easy way to do this is to copy the original component into a custom library, modify it and resave the custom library. Here's how...

1) Launch the Component Editor.
2) In the component placement area on the left side of the screen, select the User Components group.
3) Select/highlight a destination/custom library; or create a new custom library using the Library Tools panel.
4) Click on the Component Tools panel and select Insert Components from Another Library... in the pop-up menu.
5) In the Insert Components dialog window, choose the Components group, find and select the original library and component, then click on [Insert].
6) A copy of the original component should now be displayed in the Design Area. Re-arrange the pins as you see fit and resave the destination/custom library.
7) Replace the component in the schematic with the newly-modified component, then resave the schematic.
8) If the component also exists on the PCB, launch the PCB Layout editor, use the Renew Layout from Schematic tool to update it and then resave the PCB.

Thank you Tomg for taking the time to post such detailed instructions...believe me I needed them...and I was able to do it!
Thanks, again.
Frank