Net merging how can I force to keep one.

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
sairfan1

Net merging how can I force to keep one.

#1 Post by sairfan1 » 01 Apr 2016, 04:44

I'm drawing a small PCB without schematic. On PCB design area I added and named some Nets, while connecting traces to pad some time I'm asked to merge the Nets.

I came across the situation when I need to merge Net Rx to Net Tx, but when I merge Nets in both cases weather I connect Net Rx to Net Tx or Net Tx to Net Rx in both cases it Keeps Net Tx, I want to know how can force to keep Net Rx instead. Another thing it does some time that it adds that specific pad to that Net but rest of Net disconnects from that pad and remains as it is but I want to convert whole net to Net Rx.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Net merging how can I force to keep one.

#2 Post by Tomg » 01 Apr 2016, 05:26

sairfan1 wrote:"...when I merge Nets in both cases weather I connect Net Rx to Net Tx or Net Tx to Net Rx in both cases it Keeps Net Tx, I want to know how can force to keep Net Rx instead..."
After DipTrace renames it, right-click on the trace, select the Net name at the top of the pop-up menu and enter the Net name of your choosing.
sairfan1 wrote:"...it adds that specific pad to that Net but rest of Net disconnects from that pad and remains as it is but I want to convert whole net to Net Rx..."
Before routing traces, make your connections using the Place Ratline tool (located next to the Place Pad tool), then name your Nets as you like (right-click on a connected pad and select Net Name... in the pop-up menu). After all ratlines are completed, route your traces. This should help keep your Nets intact.
Tom

Whitecybe

Re: Net merging how can I force to keep one.

#3 Post by Whitecybe » 05 Sep 2016, 03:04

Tomg wrote:
sairfan1 wrote:"...when I merge Nets in both cases weather I connect Net Rx to Net Tx or Net Tx to Net Rx in both cases it Keeps Net Tx, I want to know how can force to keep Net Rx instead..."
After DipTrace renames it, right-click on the trace, select the Net name at the top of the pop-up menu and enter the Net name of your choosing.
sairfan1 wrote:"...it adds that specific pad to that Net but rest of Net disconnects from that pad and remains as it is but I want to convert whole net to Net Rx..."
Before routing traces, make your connections using the Place Ratline tool (located next to the Place Pad tool), then name your Nets as you like (right-click on a connected pad and select Net Name... in the pop-up menu). After all ratlines are completed, route your traces. This should help keep your Nets intact.

thank goodness i discovered this thread. i am having difficulties with mine and don't know where to find an answer but thank you for you information. i know this will really work. thanks!