Post subject: donuts shape surface pads
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2016, 18:25 

Hi,

I am a new user to DipTrace. I want to make surface pads look like a Washer (want a hole in the middle, but not a drilled hole. It should be only in top plane). I will really appreciate, if someone can help me regarding this.

Post subject: Re: donuts shape surface pads
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2016, 10:30 
Expert

Maybe someone else knows of a simpler method, but I haven't figured one out yet. Until then, here is a very involved procedure for getting the pad you need...

Phase I - Option A: Using DipTrace drawing tools
1) In the PCB Layout editor, clear the design area of all objects and make sure Units is set to mm.
2) Using the 2D drawing tools, create the desired shapes (in this case, two circles) in the Top Assy layer centered about the origin (0,0).
3) Go to the Main Menu and click on File, then Export and then DXF...
4) In the Export DXF dialog window, select the Top Assy layer, set Units to mm and enable the option [x]Use Design Origin.
5) Click on the [Export] button and save as a file named sketch to a convenient location (e.g. Desktop).

Phase I - Option B: Using a separate 2D Cad drawing program
1) Create the desired shapes (in this case, two circles) centered about the origin (0,0) using millimeters as your units.
2) Save as a *.DXF file named sketch to a convenient location (e.g. Desktop).

Phase II
1) In the PCB Layout editor, clear the design area of all objects and make sure Units is set to mm.
2) Go to the Main Menu and click on File, then Import and then DXF...
3) Select the newly-created file named sketch.dxf.
4) In the Import DXF dialog window, set DXF Units: Millimeters, Import Mode: Add, Convert Blocks: None, Convert to: Top, enable options [x]Fill closed areas and [x]Embedded Polygons.
5) Click on the [Import] button.
6) Go to the Main Menu and click on File, then Export and then DXF...
7) In the Export DXF dialog window, select the Top layer, set Units to mm and enable the option [x]Use Design Origin.
8) Click on the [Export] button and save as a file named pad to a convenient location (e.g. Desktop).

Phase III
1) In the Pattern Editor, create a new pattern name and clear the design area of all objects. Make sure Units is set to mm.
2) Go to the Main Menu and click on Pattern and then Import from DXF...
3) Choose the newly-created file named pad.dxf.
4) In the Import DXF dialog window, set DXF Units: Millimeters, Import Mode: Add, Convert to: Top Pads, enable options [x]Fill Closed Areas and [x]Embedded Polygons.
5) Click on the [Import] button.

Note: Due to how this special pad was created, you will not be able to resize it. Also, copying this special pad will result in the copies having the same pad number. You will have to manually renumber those additional pads.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Tomg on 10 Aug 2016, 13:10, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2016, 13:02 

Thanks for the detailed reply Tom. Really help full. This works fine except for the phase 1- option B. I created the shape in Creo 2.0 and export to DXF. It did not work. I assume the export setting of DXF in Creo has to do something. Anyway, Option A works fine.

Thanks Again
~Ishara

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2016, 13:23 
Expert

ishara wrote:
"...I assume the export setting of DXF in Creo has to do something..."
I have seen complaints about DXF not being the most universal of file transfer formats. I have also read that, in general, PCB design programs have difficulties interpreting splines. When you get a chance, try exporting to an older DXF format (R12 or earlier?) if Creo allows. I think that these older versions automatically convert splines to polylines during export, which seems to give PCB design programs less trouble during the translation process.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2016, 13:33 

I tried DXF version 12 & 13. No luck.

Thanks
~Ishara

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2016, 14:00 
Expert

One other thing to check for is if more than one layer has been imported. I usually get two layers imported from *.dxf files created with my CAD program (Geomagic Design). I am then forced to select/highlight the layer that has something in it (in this example, "CONTINUOUS") before choosing Convert to: Top. Other than that, it looks like you will have to use another 2D CAD program (there are some free ones out there) or DipTrace's limited drawing tools.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 17:42 

What if you use the DipTrace drawing tools to draw a circle and then change the properties to put it on whatever layer you want and then change the line width of that circle?

For example: Let's say you desire a 8mm dia donut shape on the top layer with a 4mm opening in the center. Draw a 6mm dia circle and adjust the properties to change the layer to top and the line width to 2mm.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 18:13 
Expert

For your example you would need a line width of 4mm. However, in my opinion, I believe two circles will always be necessary because line width has no effect on a vector-based line drawing. I could be wrong, though.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 18:42 

It's possible I've misunderstood the OP. Here's a graphic of what I was describing, done in PCB Layout. Note that DipTrace expands the line width in both directions, in this case 1mm to the inside and 1mm to the outside of the original circle.

Drawing up this example made me think, once again, how much I wish DipTrace defined circles by center point and radius/diameter.

BTW Tomg, thank you for the detailed help you've been providing in the forum. It's appreciated.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 19:41 
Expert

farley wrote:
"...Note that DipTrace expands the line width in both directions, in this case 1mm to the inside and 1mm to the outside of the original circle..."
Whoops! You're right. I forgot about the other side. Yeah, I've been unsuccessful trying to use the line thickness. I guess there must be something about the DXF translation algorithm that recognizes the line location, but not its width.

farley wrote:
"...I wish DipTrace defined circles by center point and radius/diameter..."
I agree. It would be nice if the DipTrace drawing tools included some standard, basic 2D CAD features.

farley wrote:
"...BTW Tomg, thank you for the detailed help you've been providing in the forum. It's appreciated.
No problem. I've been on the other end of a few "DipTrace head-scratching moments" myself and have benefitted from the advice of others on this forum. I'll try not to lead anyone astray.