How can i give caption on header silk layer

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
sairfan1

How can i give caption on header silk layer

#1 Post by sairfan1 » 20 Jan 2016, 06:00

Hi,

Can some body help me, I want to design a header in library where i can give label to header pins, like TX, RX and GND please refer to sample image.

Thanks.
Attachments
pcb_header.png
pcb_header.png (22.85 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: How can i give caption on header silk layer

#2 Post by Tomg » 21 Jan 2016, 10:04

1) Select the side of the PCB on which you want the label located.
2) Select the Top Silk layer for working on the Top side of the PCB, or the Bottom Silk layer for working on the Bottom side of the PCB.
3) Activate the Text tool by left-clicking on its icon.
4) Left-click in design area, type the label and press the [Enter] key.
5) Press the [Esc] key to deactivate the Text tool.
6) Right-click on the new label and select Font Type in the pop-up menu. Vector is recommended.
7) Once again, right-click on the new label and this time select Font... in the pop-up menu. Adjust the font size if needed and then select OK.
8) Left-drag the new label into position. You can also use the up/down arrows if the label is already selected (highlighted).
9) If the new label needs to be rotated, make sure it is still selected (highlighted) and press the space bar once for each 90-degree increment.
10) Click in an empty section of the design area to deselect the label.
11) Save the modified pattern file.
Attachments
label.jpg
label.jpg (27.78 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Tom

sairfan1

#3 Post by sairfan1 » 05 Feb 2016, 06:09

Hi, thanks for reply.
I created component and specified name to each pin, now i want to assign pattern to this component, is there some way that pattern inherit pin names automatically so that i do not need to write name of each pin again on silk layer of pattern.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 05 Feb 2016, 10:59

sairfan1 wrote:"...is there some way that pattern inherit pin names automatically so that i do not need to write name of each pin again on silk layer of pattern...
Not automatically. But you can create a special pattern and component that can be used repeatedly...
1) In the Pattern Editor, duplicate the pattern and give it a special name.
2) Add the desired silkscreen labels to the special pattern and resave the User Pattern library.
3) In the Component Editor, duplicate the component and give it a special name.
4) Update the special component with the special pattern and resave the User Component library.
Now every time you use the special component, those pattern labels will be visible in the PCB Layout.
Tom