How to add vias, create layer and move imported dxf to 0,0

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
jun_koh

How to add vias, create layer and move imported dxf to 0,0

#1 Post by jun_koh » 02 Feb 2016, 22:12

Hi,
I'm new and need help with:

1. Adding vias: I exported my design (rogowski coil) from another software as dxf or gerber (2d only) but the vias connecting top and bottom layer are missing. Is there a way i can add manually? preferably adjustable using parameters and automation.
Are Vias also known as drill file?

2. Create layer as silkscreen so that i can define board outline.
Now I can only add it to the top layer and its by hand, how can i create a silkscreen layer and also how to adjust the radius or diameter?

3. How to i set/ move the position of my imported dxf/ gerber file?
Would also like to create 2 traces coming out from the 'circuit' with pads so that i can solder my circuit to it.

Thanks!
*Grey and black lines are all traces and PCB should be in the middle. Top and bottom traces needs to be connected via vias.
Attachments
diptrace.JPG
diptrace.JPG (143.87 KiB) Viewed 298 times

tinker1

Re: How to add vias, create layer and move imported dxf to 0

#2 Post by tinker1 » 09 Feb 2016, 09:35

jun_koh wrote: Would also like to create 2 traces coming out from the 'circuit' with pads so that i can solder my circuit to it.
Diptrace is for designing circuit boards with circuits on planes. You can connect between layers with vias. It cannot be used to have a trace that rises away from the plane above the top or or below the bottom layer.

MDman

Re: How to add vias, create layer and move imported dxf to 0

#3 Post by MDman » 09 Feb 2016, 20:23

The vias probably would need to be exported as a drill file I suspect and imported into DT. Did you try the dxf import?

You can manually add the vias, objects menu, place static via.
You need to make sure in your import that the top and bottom traces were imported as top and bottom copper.
to change the via size, ritght click on the via, properties and the rest is pretty much self explanatory.

For the board outline you need to go to objects menu and select place shape > Ellipse, then after you have dragged the circle out, right click on it, properties, and in the type field select board cutout. If you have a specific size you want and to make sure the circle is properly round go to objects and add measurement and place a vertical and horizontal measurement on the circle(a little box will highlight when you are near the centre mark of the circle outline) place your measurement points there. Then you can adjust the circle by first clicking on the circle(if you can't select it at first go to a blank area of the board and right click a couple of times, then go back to the circle and one left click on it to select it, then go to one of the corner marks and you can adjust the x and y from there. You don't need to add a layer for the board outline or silk.

For adding some traces to some pads for hookup wire just simply place some pads where you want to make the connection and select route, route manual, add traces and click on the starting point and drag your trace to the pad, then if you want to move the trace around a bit, do the right click on the blank board area, hover over the trace and click and move.

To move your board around, just drag a box around it to select it then click and hold and move.

Good luck with it!