Post subject: Part number
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 03:37 

I am new to DipTrace and so far is looking great, but I am having trouble finding a part that I got at amazon.com and just can't find that part inside DipTrace so when I create the PCB layout, it would be the correct one. Here is the URL for the RJ45 jacks:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-Net ... B00TX415JE

I am lost on which part to choose from DipTrace, I think is under "CON JACKS" but the actual part number is not there which I think is 4452440 as shown in amazon.com but in DipTrace is not there.

Maybe there is a similar part?

Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: Part number
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 08:21 

I don't find any similar part in Diptrace.

May be it was there but i failed to find it.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 09:55 
Expert

This looks like it could be an example of an OEM dumping excess stock into the marketplace after completing a production run for another company. "Uxcell" might only be an agent for such transactions as they appear to have a broad range of products for sale. The closest "mainstream" connector with a datasheet that I could find was a Wurth Electronics offering (p/n: 615008144221) available at Mouser (see http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Wurth-Electronics/615008144221/). The Wurth Electronics example is an RJ45, non-shielded, vertical PCB mount, through-hole, CAT-5, 8-position jack with ears. It looks similar to what is shown on Amazon, but there is no guarantee that it has an identical footprint. Without proper documentation available for the Amazon/"Uxcell" offering, you will be purchasing an unknown and will have to wait for the part to be delivered before choosing/creating a pattern.

For the Wurth Electronics 615008144221, the stock DipTrace pattern that looks like the best match is the Molex 95522-2887, which is located in the Con Jacks pattern library...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 11:21 

Thanks for your reply, yes it seems that way. I didn't noticed that the bag has some numbers, maybe I am missing something? I am posting such label now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 11:52 
Expert

None of those numbers did anything for me. I did find a similar looking connector on the Alibaba website here - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/RJ45-Full-Plastic-Connector-8P8C_60251664201.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.wOdlvt. After the page loads, scroll down to see the photos and drawing. Apparently, this particular connector is made in China under the brand name "DEANA" with part number DA-RJ45 8P8C.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 12:06 

Yes, those are the parts indeed. Guess I will have to purchase a part that is in the Dip Trace to be able to use it. Do you have any store that will have cheap connectors that will be in the Dip Trace database? I am just doing this as a hobby.

Thanks for all your help!

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 12:36 
Expert

mannyg wrote:
"...Do you have any store that will have cheap connectors that will be in the Dip Trace database?..."
Not to my knowledge. If you want to use the items on hand, your best bet is to create your own pattern/component and place it in your User Components/User Patterns libraries. When you get the chance, invest in a small digital caliper (range: 0-150mm/0-6"). Prices vary between $12 (unknown mystery brand quality) to $100 or more for a good-quality Mitutoyo (see - https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=digital+caliper&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3527184568&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9htfk5t8qr_e). The digital caliper is a tool that you will find yourself using quite frequently, especially when you want to create your own footprints with the DipTrace Pattern Editor.

If you already have the mystery RJ45 connectors on hand, and you have access to a laser printer, try printing out the previously-mentioned Molex pattern at 100% magnification (actual size) to see if the part matches up to the footprint.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 13:52 

Thanks, I was looking at the calipers and again, I am not trying to invest too much, but I sure would like to get either the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EE ... 4HPWL26OR9 which seems to have more good reviews, but I was wondering if accuracy has to be perfect for such PCB's??? Which one do you recommend for $30 or below ?

I have also looked at the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G ... PDKIKX0DER

Thanks, also, I tried printing the image but it doesn't seem to print the actual size, even after setting the output to 100%. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I am using photoshop CC

Thanks again

-- 03 Aug 2016, 13:14 --

Also found this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A ... HGC4NSM6WF

Apparently it will compare to the mitutoyo which is the top of the line but below the $30 range :) Which is great for me.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 14:48 
Expert

mannyg wrote:
"...Which one do you recommend for $30 or below ?..."
My only experience is with the Mitutoyo because I bought it before all of the less expensive brands came on the scene. Any of the calipers with good reviews should be fine, as long as you get consistent/repeatable readings. Two decimal places (mm) should be adequate (3-1/2 decimal places for inches). That's all my Mitutoyo displays and it has been accurate enough for my purposes.

mannyg wrote:
"...I tried printing the image but it doesn't seem to print the actual size, even after setting the output to 100%. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I am using photoshop CC..."
Printing a pattern to actual size (I'm assuming you are using Windows 10)
1) In the DipTrace PCB Layout editor, start with a new/blank PCB and drop the pattern into the center of the Design Area (close to the 0,0 origin). No other objects (board outline, traces, etc.) are needed.
2) Go to the PCB Layout editor Main Menu and select File, then choose Print... in the drop-down menu.
3) In the Print dialog window select your laser printer in the Name drop-down list, then click on the Properties... button.
4) In the printer Properties dialog window select the Job Options tab, make sure the Scale option is enabled, set it to 100% and click on OK.
5) In the Print dialog window, click on OK.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2016, 12:10 

Yes, it was that part 95522-2887 correct for the one I got already!

Thank you for your help!