Post subject: Package On Package BGA
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 16:39 

Hey everyone,
I am relatively new to the Dip Trace tool suite. I am trying to implement a Package On Package (POP) Ball Grid Array (BGA) device. The products are the TI Sitara AM3703 processor, coupled with a Micron MT29x family multi-chip. I have created a pattern, and schematic component for the bottom of the AM3703, and the MT29x. In component editor I found that it is possible to have one sheet attached to the bottom pattern and another be attached to the top, this is what is leading me to believe it is possible. In PCB layout I thought maybe I could just add a layer in and call it pop or something of the like then add the AM3703 top and MT29x bottom footprints to it. Then I remembered there are DRC rules that would prevent the packages from being overlaid. I could just omit the AM3703 top and just place the MT29 footprint, but I would really like to know if there is a better way about this.

I would like to know:
A.) Is it possible to specify a PoP-BGA component in Dip trace?
B.) How is it specified during place and route?
C.) If it isn't possible in Dip Trace can someone suggest an alternative?

All solutions, and feedback are much appreciated

Thanks for your time! :D

-- 23 Jan 2016, 13:11 --

Is there anyone who might be able to help me solve this problem? I am still unsure of how I can use these Diptrace features.

Post subject: Re: Package On Package BGA
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016, 05:34 

One possible workaround for your problem is to omit top pins entirely from Ti Sitara pattern and not to use any pattern for the RAM.
You could have extra pins in Sitaras schematic symbol(parts) and schematic symbol for RAM so you could connect them in schematic editor.
When you convert schematic to pcb, Diptrace will warn you about missing patterns and unconnected pins, but it should still work.
Same warnings are also issued when updating pcb layout from schematic.

Please note that this will affect any Pick and place export you export. You need to manually add the ram chip but luckily it have the same x and y coordinates (and usually same rotation) as processor.

U1 has only pins 1-9 connected to pattern. U2 doesn't have pattern.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Package On Package BGA
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 02:33 

Yes, It possible to specify a PoP-BGA component in Dip trace. Check the Dip-trace training course for more detailed information.
http://diptrace.com/books/trainings.pdf