Post subject: Style: Free
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 15:02 

Tomg wrote:
Not quite sure about all of your questions, but Pad Spacing and Line Spacing are referenced to pad origins (centers). Pad Width and Height are referenced to a pad's outline (outside dimensions). Does the following illustration help?...

Your example is my next issue, I copied a SOP-8/6.35X1.27 to my library so I could modify it BUT the Pattern Template Style: FREE stopped me from changing the spacing. I changed Free to Line and the pattern was toast. X and Y axis flipped so changing the PAD X and Y and then setting the center fixed some of the issue, deleting the silkscreen and adding a new one fixed the other.
My point is reuse, libraries are there for reuse but if altering a pad can not be done there is no reuse.

On two other parts they were set for Style: Line so it was like it should be, a breeze.
Attachment:
diptrace_1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Style: Free
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 12:30 
Expert

KevinA wrote:
...My point is reuse, libraries are there for reuse but if altering a pad can not be done there is no reuse.
The weird silkscreen distortion/movement problem while editing an existing pattern has been a DipTrace "feature" for as long as I have been using it, and I am not aware of any official responses to past complaints about this. (Perhaps it's one of those "invisible" gray elephants in the gray-walled development room?) I agree that it would be nice to be able to edit the spacing without having to select the entire pattern (Ctrl+A) and rotate (Ctrl+Alt+R), flip the pads by exchanging the Width and Length values, renumber the pins that have magically received duplicate numbers and then redraw the silkscreen. As you have witnessed, it's better to start from scratch. Maybe we'll see some of the old cobwebs get dusted out after their fascination with Differential Pairs has subsided. One can hope.

Post subject: Re: Style: Free
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 23:34 

Tomg wrote:
Maybe we'll see some of the old cobwebs get dusted out after their fascination with Differential Pairs has subsided. One can hope.

I was wondering about that but if your working with 'SuperSpeed' USB it is critical. As it is I'm doing an add-on for the PI Zero that adds four 'High Speed' ports, three of which go directly to other USB based chips which means wondering around on the PCB with 'Differential Pairs'.