Post subject: Mounting hole library #2-8 tight and loose fit.
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2014, 15:14 
Expert

Per a feature request I submitted, having a library of common mounting holes (and other mechanical components like stand-offs, mounting posts, etc.) would be very helpful. I began the basis for such a library of #2-8 screw mounting holes. *Common* is a tough one in that some use imperial, some metric, etc. I began one for my own use; mounting holes for #2-8 size screws in both "tight" and "loose" fit. A few things about my library:

These are done as mounting holes; as such, they "should not" have a plated through hole. Over the years, board manufacturers have been handling this in different ways i.e. even if it is a mounting hole, they still plate it. This causes problems in that the plating has different thicknesses based on the board process so the hole may be the wrong size. I always try and do mounting holes without plating as you stand a better chance of hitting your number if they have new, sharp drill bits. Always check with the PCB house how much they plate up holes if that is what you want, otherwise hardware just may not fit.

@Novarm: I've been in the electronics business for about 35 years; I know how tough it is producing a product like this. One of the reasons I switched from Orcad was I see that you listen to your customers and really are improving your product. One tremendous tool, in fact, one of the very first piecees of commercial software every available was the spreadsheet (Visicalc on the Apple, credited by some for being the "code that made the PC industry". The job of simply building these mounting holes was incredibly tedious; if there were a spreadsheet for creating components, it would have been a "cut and paste" job. Please consider for the future moving towards spreadsheet style entry for things like this.

B'regards,

Mike T.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/113398550/MOUNTING_HOLES.lib

Post subject: Re: Mounting hole library #2-8 tight and loose fit.
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 07:21 
Technical Support

Hello,
The mounting holes library is available in 2.4 version. It is "Pads & Mt Holes" library.

Post subject: Re: Mounting hole library #2-8 tight and loose fit.
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2014, 20:42 
Expert

Noted, thanks.